Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vietnam Service Medal 5/0
My brother-in-law's father served in the US Army and was in Vietnam.

He asked me to tie a fly representing the Vietnam Service Medal his father received so he could give it to him as a Fathers Day gift.

I've got to work on my floss work and while I'm satisfied with the fly overall, I've always felt my floss work is lacking.  I know traditional fishing flies look somewhat like this with floss, but even with burnishing and careful application with the underbody and use of gloves, I can never seem to get that glass or smooth look.

Anyway, this one is set for a shadowbox and delivery.

Thanks for looking.

Jon

PS  The head is green UV nail polish

[Image: k7VG0Esl.jpg]
Jon Kopczyk
www.jkflies.com

Looks good from my spot. Nice one Jon
Very nicely done Jon...as well as spot on with the colors and design!!
Cheers,
George

Just living the dream !! Cool
SWEET! He's going to love it. Nice loop too!
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
Another beauty Jon and a fine example of honoring veterans

Regards,

Marty
This is a real eyeful, Jon!! Things that stand out for me are your usual meticulous work and signature tapers (body and wing); it's gorgeous coloration and the best use of dyed JC I have seen. I have my Vietnam Campaign ribbon, so thank you very much

dave
(06-10-2018, 06:42 AM)dave gotzmer Wrote: This is a real eyeful, Jon!!  Things that stand out for me are your usual meticulous work and signature tapers (body and wing); it's gorgeous coloration and the best use of dyed JC I have seen.  I have my Vietnam Campaign ribbon, so thank you very much

dave

Dave,

I'd love to see the floss work you could do on a fly like this.  I wish I had your eye and skill for floss.

I appreciate the kind words and thank you for your service!

Jon
Jon Kopczyk
www.jkflies.com

"I can never seem to get that glass or smooth look."

Could it be that it is only a matter of different lighting when you photo? Try bouncing some light "in there" with a piece of white paper reflecting the lights you are using.

Good choice on the gold hook and horns! Cool fly Jon.
(06-15-2018, 04:03 PM)Tidal Wrote: "I can never seem to get that glass or smooth look."

Could it be that it is only a matter of different lighting when you photo? Try bouncing some light "in there" with a piece of white paper reflecting the lights you are using.

Good choice on the gold hook and horns! Cool fly Jon.

Thank you Val, I'll give that a try.

Jon
Jon Kopczyk
www.jkflies.com