Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aberdeenshire Dee Gled Wing
Well...I was sitting staring into the hook drawer of my fly tying chest wondering what to do next...which is a rare enough occasion as it is. Among the various and sundry salmon hooks staring back at me was a pack of Daiichi long shank 2091's JK sent me for my butterfly experiments and I realized they would be ideal for a nice long hackled Dee fly too...so here it is.

Started with the letter "A" in Mike R's Classic Salmon Fly Patterns book and got as far as page 2 when I spotted this pattern. I decided to tie it for for several reasons...I never tied it before, working with the mohair I got from McLain some time ago would be new for me as well...and while I don't have any Gled feathers, I do have some very nice cinnamon turkey which is super sub for the Gled  and the black heron wasn't doing anything just sitting in a plastic box taking up space.

It was fun to do...as always..and I am reasonably satisfied with the end product. Still gotta work on slowing down a little though.

Thoughts and comments are always welcome folks.

Petri Heil,
George
How cool is that? Did you split the throat hackle like we do Jay?
Thanks Jim!!!

As far as the throat hackle is concerned...looking at the outside of the feather I just strip off the fibers on the left side, tie it in and let the fibers do what they want as I wind it in. If the fly was truly for exhibition I'd make sure they were all nicely curled and facing the same way.

Jay...my nemesis. I've never mastered the process so I just use subs...one of these days maybe.
Petri Heil,
George
Looking good George !
Excellent fly ol boy!
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
George Jay is easy. Buy four times what you need, one will eventually turn out
(08-09-2018, 04:06 PM)Jim Montgomery Wrote: George Jay is easy. Buy four times what you need, one will eventually turn out

To quote our old friend Geert - hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Actually I have a nice supply...and you've given me the urge give it a go...AGAIN.

Any tips from anyone on making it easier. I've read all the books but my fingers can't read...hence the issue Tongue

Thank you gentlemen...like I said it was a fun tie. Think I'll put one of Ronn's hooks in the vise next and look for more inspiration..... Cool
Petri Heil,
George
A sparse Dee or Spey dressing gets my attention, George. Although they can sit in a fly box and stand on their own in terms of quality and attractiveness, their ultimate beauty is often better realized in the water. Is the fore-body dark claret? Great tying

dave
(08-10-2018, 07:48 AM)dave gotzmer Wrote: A sparse Dee or Spey dressing gets my attention, George.  Although they can sit in a fly box and stand on their own in terms of quality and attractiveness,  their ultimate beauty is often better realized in the water.  Is the fore-body dark claret?  Great tying

dave

Dave,
Thanks for the kind words...much appreciated.
Yes the fore-body is dark claret mohair. I just couldn't seem to bring the color up when editing the photo. I'll have to work on that a bit.
George
Petri Heil,
George