Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silver Wilkinson...Last Fly of 2018
I haven't tied this pattern in ages, and after my friend Gordeaux sent me some of his hooks I decided to tie a Silver Wilkinson on one.

I intentionally did a couple of things different on this fly and there are parts that were new to me that I found interesting. The little upward sweep at the tail end of the wing was that something different for me. Not sure how much I like it though. The different aspect to this pattern is how the GP tail is tied in over the tippet and under the main wing. Your basic pain in the ass. As usual I rushed a bit...so the head needs another coat of cement and the topping could sit a little lower over the body...but that doesn't really bother me. I like that look for a show fly...but not on a fishing fly. All in all I'm reasonably satisfied and I believe a tip I got on selecting tail feathers made for one that is the best I've done in a while.

So I close out the year with one of my old time favorites...and for a starter in 2019 - ?????????????

Happy New Year to everyone.

Petri Heil,
George

Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Excellent fly George and great way to "close the books" on 2018! If I don't finish the fly I'm working on today, the last will have been a Green Highlander...…...everyone's fave.

I hope you and yours have a fantastic new year and that 19 is your best year ever!
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
George, the SW is my favorite of the red butted classics. Your dressing is a good reminder of why I feel that way

dave
very good fly George, The part of the fly I seem to spend most time on at the moment is the tail and the head , when I'm happy with the tail everything else seems to go easier and when I get to the head I leave it for the next day as I seem to end up rushing it and making a mess. Terry.
Really clean and accurate piece of work my friend. Everything really nicely applied. One small point that I hope you don’t mind me saying..... I think a size smaller hook would balance the dressing better, but that’s just being ultra picky!!
I hope this year treats you and your family well and time for another mixed wing

Dave
One life........live it!
Thanks gentlemen...much obliged.

Terry - Mike Radencich maintains the tail sets the tone for the rest of the fly...and I've finally started to follow his advice on picking a feather instead of try to cut corners a bit...and it works!!

Dave - I agree on the hook thing. The hook is from my friend Gordeaux who lives on the other side of the state near Pittsburgh. His recent hook work has improved a great deal, but my only issue has from day one been proportions. I feel the shank is too short for the gape of the hook. The gape is 3/0, but the shank is a more than 2/0 and less than 3/0...so it is just a bit out of sync to my eye and that has been the case for me since day one with his hooks. That issue is consistently the same...so that must suit his eye. For me I prefer the shank length be about 1/2 size longer than the gape...but that's me.

Happy Healthy Prosperous New Year to one and all!!

Petri Heil,
George

(01-01-2019, 04:14 PM)Troutmaddave Wrote: Really clean and accurate piece of work my friend. Everything really nicely applied. One small point that I hope you don’t mind me saying..... I think a size smaller hook would balance the dressing better, but that’s just being ultra picky!!
I hope this year treats you and your family well and time for another mixed wing

Dave

Dave-

Almost forgot...a mixed wing is next on my agenda. I recently saw a photo of a well known classic done as a mixed. I like what I saw...so that is next and it shall remain unnamed for now Tongue

G
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein