Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Artful Dodger from Jones’s guide

Another Tolfrey pattern. On a 5/0 hook . Pretty happy with this effort but those herl heads stress the shite out of me!!
One life........live it!
Really pretty. Nice body work Dave

Don't let Carne know you trimmed the body hackle
I won’t tell him if you don’t !! Aparantly Ryan presented him with a fly held together entirely with super glue!!
One life........live it!
Excellent job on this one Dave!!!
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
Nicely tied Dave

Regards,

Marty
if you can't find hackles shaped like christmas trees and you must cut them, cut them with the scissor points directly facing the barbules.
sharp as buggery scissors is the key. you'll cut hackles to a point as opposed to an obvious blunt.

bro-tip: mark on your hackle feather where the barbs meet the length of your proposed throat. that will be your last wrap.
if you need to know its length to coincide with the throat, wrap it 'dry' on the body before you start dressing your sections.
like all good structures the success lies in the planning, and with materials already sourced.

cheers,
shawn

-who once received a royal wulff made entirely of foam.
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

Very well done, Dave ! Ironically, the only framed fly I ever sold had trimmed hackle

dave
AS always your tying looks just fine to me...very nicely done. As far as the hackle is concerned...I don't remember the pattern[s] but I know there are a few that specify the body hackle be trimmed...so no worries for me.
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein