Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jay PT
Worked on this one off and on the last 2 days. Tied all the way up to the point of putting on the crests, then tore it all down and started over again. Finished it up and attempted wrapping a herl head (twice) and didn’t like how it looked. I let it beat me (for now) and left it off.

Regards,

Marty

Wow Marty, that is so f¥%€*^g good. I have a long way to go!!
Cheers
Dave
One life........live it!
Marty, you are crushing it !! That fly is perfect, really nicely done. Cheers friend.
Sure can't add to what's already been said Marty...sweet!!
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Time to buy more Jay, Marty !! It's always great to see a challenging pattern tied so beautifully

dave
can we see the other side?

I kid. I know what the other side looks like.
you should see the other side of this nelly. I reserve all my iffy jay for the backside of show flies.

by the by, this jay pt is fantastic.
I especially like the way you managed not to crush the last upper with the crests... very well done.

you'll see your nelly wings soon (and some dodgy jay),
cheers,
shawn

edit: I tie my jay in the same as you; 'bad side' to the hook. do you find tying them this way opens up the fronts ever so slightly?
I've always tied them in pairs... sometimes I get away with it and sometimes I don't. mostly don't.
easy when you've a wing to slide in between... bottoms? not so great. I'll cover it with the following jc and only take side-on photos.
shhh...
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

All flies look better without a herl head...
Sometimes “by the letter” is akin to being in the thrall of a dial up modem...

Nice feather management

cc the hinge

(Consider the source, I’m only an egg)
Inside the black, shiny eye of the ant...
IThanks gentlemen! This was tough, but like always I incorporated a few flaws lol. I should have used iffy feathers for the far side but didn’t. I did get a small gap on the bottom jays when I tied them in as pairs. I purposely created a gap on the last jays on top so I could place the crests further back so the head would nit be slanted forward. And yes the far side is a little dodgy.

Regards,

Marty

(01-10-2019, 07:12 AM)mitch aka 2 fish Wrote: . do you find tying them this way opens up the fronts ever so slightly?
I've always tied them in pairs... sometimes I get away with it and sometimes I don't. mostly don't.
easy when you've a wing to slide in between... bottoms? not so great. I'll cover it with the following jc and only take side-on photos.
shhh...

You can overcome this frontal opening somewhat if you tie the stems on top of each other....crush them horizontally for tie in point and then vertically just above the tie in point for back to back proximity. Works well for Macaw too. I learned this from tying in whole barred woodduck wings on Marbury flies, although, the stems on those feathers are flat and just require a 'twist to get the shape.

Nice fly here - very well done, on both sides 

E
Thanks E for the tip. I’ll have to give that a try.

Regards,

Marty