Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blacker seems topical...
Photo 
Drove to this place and thought to pick his brain...

[Image: sln1aH9.jpg]

"Lets begin with the tag" I said, and the only thing I could do when I saw his butt was herl...
"Why so serious" he quipped for "mastery is a long road to tippet-rary..."

Below is a build in progress, Blacker's Ghost Fly.
I hate cats, they eat birds...but I am also loathe to take a page from "Land and Water" and swoon with fetishistic delirium over rare, exotic, and endangered feathers.
Hey, but that's just me...

I'm taken by the subtle changes to Classics and a more contemporary material application which requires the creativity of the bricoleur. 

Here's what I got so far...
Hackle which is a tad too long (short heron   Tongue  ) for this McNeese.
Quetzal is replaced with Peacock back feathers and the tag from a single, fine strand from the eye.
Tail is a small GP breast feather.
Will finish up the wing with some GP, BM, and topping.
JC nails installed lastly...

[Image: NJkv00Z.jpg]

I love this fly and though this first iteration falls short, once finished will look for some Emu sub etc etc for another effort in the hopes that it will become "a trophy which should specially attract our attention, and raise us into action in our wakeful study.” (said he)

Inspiring place this.
Cheers
Inside the black, shiny eye of the ant...
"beyond the length of the tag needing to be short, as to stay true to the learnings of this art of the masters before us, one will find that the size and placement of said junglecock is not only crucial, it is also the flavour of this month."

-me, all chrith eubank-like
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

It looks like you're off to a great start. Your choice of hook has already shaped some decisions, with more yet to come. I love tying like this, full of intrigue and a buffet of welcomed challenges. Bon voyage

dave
Fascinating. I wait with baited breath for the conclusion.
Cheers
Dave
One life........live it!
(02-01-2019, 09:10 PM)mitch aka 2 fish Wrote: "beyond the length of the tag needing to be short, as to stay true to the learnings of this art of the masters before us, one will find that the size and placement of said junglecock is not only crucial, it is also the flavour of this month."

-me, all chrith eubank-like

So you’re a bespoke tennis player then...
Inside the black, shiny eye of the ant...
Just got home from dinner out with friends. Too much to eat...too much to drink...and reading this again I still think you guys are getting a little too eccentric for your truly. That is said with amusement and admiration...I think. When sober in the morning I may reassess these thoughts - LOL
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
George....how's the head this am ?
Just fine...I've built up a lot of resistance over the years.....
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Haha...just fer the record, i've no idea what these poets been talking boot either
The question is...do they? Confused Confused Confused
Petri Heil,
George