Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
VK-S5.RF 5/6 WT
Hey All,

This is what I've been up to lately.

I started this project almost 6 years ago and finally have reels in hand. I have 5 prototypes I've been messing around with different finish schemes on, and after realizing this dream I'm doubling back around trying to understand what the hell just happened.

Let me know what you think.

6061-T6 Frame, Spool, Foot
316L click/pawl, gear, spindle, hardware
Delrin handle

hmm... not a reel for palming by the looks.
which is no bother really, just noticing whilst I drive from the backseat...

is there much clearance in between the cage and the spool for aussie sand?
though I can see they're set up for normal people are they reversible?
could probably use a capacity line/backing volume description... I'd also include a single hand spey capacity for kicks in another market.

they're very modern looking. I would bet people who like 'death star' rods would gobble these up.
they look like they're made by skate punks. therefore they should be loud to match.

and now more importantly... wow.
you kept this quiet, val... you're the type of man I could do some super-villain crimes with.

cheers,
shawn
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

I'm Speechless Val!!!! <---- 4!'s Very cool stuff!
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
Wow ! I'm delighted Val but not the least bit surprised. Take the ball and run with it

dave
I have only one word....holy chit that is amazing!

Regards,

Marty
When I was first contacted about designing a reel I knew from the start that it wasn't going to be about high tech, carbon fiber drag systems and all that stop a Marlin stuff. Too many people already do that, and do it well. Instead I thought about what could I offer into the fray that would be different. In general I make sculpture, I make functional art, and so from the start it was to be about pure objectification of the reel form, bad ass, sexy function. I looked to 2 of my favorite art periods, Art Nouveau and Art Deco, for inspiration, everything had to have at least 2 functions or it couldn't stay, and the constant stream of why/why not/what if got to be such a pain in the ass that I laughed. I learned stuff. Sometimes I learned stuff after I paid for it... OUCH! I was inspired by the Shakespeare 1896 reel innards too, but more on that when I start posting the inner working pics.

Shawn - there actually is palming built into the face of the spool handle side, you can also "pinch" the spool on the opposite side at the same time. It's pretty intuitive when you have the reel in hand. Yes, left hand retrieve only on this one. Sorry to the die hard southpaws. Weights and line capacity soon, and light spey stuff - yes!

...and yes Shawn, I'm one of those who can keep a secret.

finish schemes coming up:
• "South Side"
• "Zook"
• "Mondi"
• last one to be determined

Ronn, Dave and Marty - Thanks, and glad you dig it.
Cheers!

...and just for fun - the original maquette, cardboard, mailing tube and Ari spool!

I dig it Val ! My votes fer a steal your face
No good, Abel already did that.
I have always REALLY dug the whole Art Nouveau thing. Sinuous, earthy, organic, and a little irreverent too. The Deco period to a lesser degree. Arts & crafts period too....even or slightly better than the AN school.
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
one day I will make it to napier, nz for the art deco festival.
googz it... it's pretty special.

cheers,
shawn
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.