Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Vise Review
Forgive the long rant...but I want to be accurate in this post.....

This past winter I was on a hunt for a new fly tying vise. I was somewhat unhappy with what I was using for some time...hence the urge for something new and different. Since the LAW vise is extremely rare and hard to find...not to mention outrageously expensive as in $3000 and up depending on condition. I went looking for something other than that...HA HA HA

Some 17 or 18 months ago HMH introduced their new TRV model, but it remained a mystery. A few pictures surfaced, there was a supposed IPO for the first 100 customers, a less than flattering review or 2...but still there was something about that vise that struck a note with me...but nothing on their site until this past December I think (???).

I could have had one about a year ago but I hesitated due to the lack of info and the mediocre comments. Well...this past January I went to the Fly Fishing Show in Edison, NJ for the first time in years just to see the vise. At the HMH exhibit there it was on full display. I had 2 salmon hooks with me in sizes 4/0 and 5/0 as trial pieces. I sat down at the company owner's vise and learned the vise was limited to a 2/0 hook. I had a long and pleasant chat with the company owner about my needs. He said he understood and planned a few changes to the jaws...and I hoped that would be the case.

Well on March 2nd I went to that Fly Fishing & Wing Shooting Expo I mentioned in another post and sure enough there was another TRV vise at one of the exhibits. After close examination I felt the gap in the jaws looked different than before. I borrowed a 5/0 salmon hook and a 6/0 salt water hook from a friend's booth and gave the vise a test run. Voila !!! It held those hooks no problem including protective plastic around the salmon hook. Needless to say I brought the vise home. I tried and learned it will solidly hold a 9/0 hook if I had the need...therefore it will do everything I could possibly want for my salmon flies. Company owner Jon Larrabee told me since I saw him in January he had redesigned/reworked the jaws to hold a 6/0 hook.

I've attached a couple of pictures for all to see with a Ronn Lucas, Sr. 3/0 Noble S in the jaws. The use of the LAW design for the jaws is quite obvious, but the updated version of this vise makes for a more versatile piece of equipment in my opinion. Best move I've made in a tying tool in a long time!!

For the record...I have no skin in the game...as in I do not work for or have any affiliation with HMH.

Thanks for reading my lengthy commentary and story...but I am very excited about this and wanted to share my enthusiasm.

Cheers,
George

Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Interesting vise George. What's the cost? Not interested in buying one though.
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
(03-08-2019, 01:42 AM)Ronn Lucas Sr. Wrote: Interesting vise George. What's the cost? Not interested in buying one though.

Sticker price is $495. Compared to some other top of the line vises...not too bad...and I have ZERO regrets.....
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
I will add Ronn, and I can't emphasize enough...it is an amazing pleasure to tie on. There is nothing in the way of my big sometimes clumsy hands. Turn the hook on its side, roll it upside down, it doesn't matter...nothing interferes with whatever I want to do. Like I said earlier...in my opinion it has taken the LAW design to another level just by adding another pivot point to the vise.
Petri Heil,
George