Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe Time For A Break??
I guess we all get what I call "tyer's block". I'm going through books looking at patterns I've never tied, styles I've never tied, types of flies I've never tied, use of materials I've never used, etc, etc, etc, and there is nothing happening in the old brain box to get me started.

So what to do?

As I look across my office at the plastic storage boxes of materials I realize what a disorganized disaster they have become...and then I decided that was the way to become inspired. I strongly suspect most if not all of us who tie flies of any sort...let alone classic salmon flies...have a serious fascination with the materials we all acquire over the years. I probably have things I've forgotten about, way too many things I don't need and that inspiration I mentioned is to go through each and every box and bag...every feather and fur to both organize, so I can decide what should stay and...GASP...what should go. I have no doubt it will be fun, it will probably be enlightening and make my tying one heck of a lot simpler.

I have no doubt this is the cure for my tying hiatus of the moment...and I know I will enjoy!!!!
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
I think that is something a lot of us could do. I mean, am I really gonna use that ________?
Fairly early on, it became apparent that some serious & focused system for material storage. Feathers are in Rubbermaid boxes with blue labels and hair, white. The bigger the box, the less I will look into it. I keep smaller boxes with the usables and the others, storage. Feathers also are stored by colour. At this level, not only colour but pairs as well. Tinsels is a "special" material. This photo shows about 400 different colour and size tinsels. Mostly vintage too. There's more, always more.

Anyone whos been here can tell you that I can find what I need within a minute or two.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
about a year ago I gave all my freshwater tying gear to my accountant. but my life didn't get any simpler and I haven't saved any money.
half as much mess now, mind...

cheers,
shawn

ps. during a slump I will also reorganise and once it's all nice and neat I'm straight back into it again inside 24 hours. along with my travelling I believe I'm more of a 'nester'... meaning I like the set-up, or set-out, planning, what-have-you.
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

All my classic stuff is back in Canada while I been traveling, I like the breaks from classics, find I come back to it stronger than before...hopefully this time as after ASFI was the last time I touched the expensive feathers. Anyway, stopped in Australia for a bit filling boxes full of bonefish and permit flies, we been doing really well on the bones and one can get suckered into the tying, reading, history of this just as much (guess it's like anything). Headed back slowly next month via Kiribati, Fiji, and Hawaii! Phew over a year 9 countries, 70 cities later.
When I feel that I need a break from classic salmon flies I turn to other types of flies. Lately I’ve been tying speys, a few by recipes and a few freestyle. I haven’t been tying as long as you gentlemen and definitely don’t have the issues of too much stuff but does keep me at the vise.  For the most part, I know where my materials are located but do reorganize from time to time.

Regards,

Marty

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

wow. somebody, somewhere really hates that fly... if you'd put junglecock on it you may have had two haters.

ha ha... the green highlander.
it's like the tippettiwitchet(sp?) of the married winged flies*.

cheers,
shawn

*in some circles. but not mine.
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

Thanks for your support guys. Like I said I guess we all go through this. At least I'm making headway with organizing my "stuff" as well as getting those few final trout flies needed for the coming season tied. It is actually fun...and I think I'm driving Linda just a little crazy Tongue
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Great thread George ! I think each of the phases I went through, even those absent of tying, had a positive affect. When I encountered a 'block', I also revisited my materials for inspiration. Often the onset of spring made a difference. For me it was OK to turn the page without closing the book.

dave

ps Marty, please consider posting that beauty in either creative/artistic or fishing categories
Agreed Marty, that GH varient is sweet, regardless of what two fish says. I've been on an extended hiatus myself lately as well but i'm starting to feel it again. Breaks are good, especially 4:20 breaks. Ha ha, cheers