Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First of the "Scotts"...maybe
Well I've finally finished the Jock Scott that is supposed to be the beginning of the series of variations for that pattern. The posted photo is the fly in the raw stage...as in unpreened and the wild fibers still in place. As I looked at and studied it I realized I forgot the peacock sword above the roof. So I will think about it and then decide what to do. I am also only somewhat satisfied with the wing as a whole anyway, so there may be a major overhaul of that part of the fly...we shall see Huh 

It is really quite amazing to me what I learn about my flies when I study the pictures. The things I miss, do wrong or are later unsatisfactory...makes me crazy Confused

All thoughts and comments welcome of course.

Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
most leave out the peacock full stop, mate... leave as, no worries.
nice touch of kori.

cheers,
shawn
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

Great looking fly George. Funny you should mention forgetting something. I just finished a silver grey and realized I forgot the horns, I will have to deconstruct a bit and revise. I guess it’s a a part of making these complex patterns.

Best,

Dave
I say leave it too. Horns are perfect.....hate the ones over the top! Really nice one George!!!
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
Nice balance to this fly George. Love your throat, great sweep. I agree with Shawn, those Kori strips look fantastic tucked in there. For me I would liked to have seen a herl or wool head and another fibre of each wing element. That’s just being really pickey!! One of your better ones I thing
Cheers
Dave
One life........live it!
Thank you for your compliments gentlemen...much appreciated!!

The extra strips of Kori is something I do for 2 reasons. One is to delineate the dyed colors, and as is the case here to increase the number of fibers to what is my minimum of 24 fibers in the wing. This fly is on a 4/0 Lucas Jock Scott hook and the fiber number is 25...plus the underwing. With 7 different elements in the wing I went with 3 fibers each plus the extra Kori. If I redo it I may go with 4 fibers per element, eliminate the Kori delineation, and end up a 28 fiber wing...but based on your thoughts I just may leave it as is. Hmmmmm...we shall see.

Thanks again guys......
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Very fine work there, George !! I also use plenty of Kori in my married wings. Not only does it have a great visual effect, it is often the 'glue' that holds other stubborn feathers together. In this dressing there might be too much 'reveal' of the white tipped underwing. It's long taper defines an skyward and asymmetrical point to the mainwing. Looking forward to your next in the series.

dave
(04-16-2019, 07:30 AM)dave gotzmer Wrote: Very fine work there, George !!  I also use plenty of Kori in my married wings.  Not only does it have a great visual effect, it is often the 'glue' that holds other stubborn feathers together.  In this dressing there might be too much 'reveal' of the white tipped underwing.  It's long taper defines an skyward and asymmetrical point to the mainwing.  Looking forward to your next in the series.

dave

Thanks for your thoughts...they are always spot on. I have decided to redo the wing...and the old wing has already made the trip to the circular file Exclamation
Petri Heil,
George
(04-16-2019, 08:17 AM)CSFT II Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 07:30 AM)dave gotzmer Wrote: Very fine work there, George !!  I also use plenty of Kori in my married wings.  Not only does it have a great visual effect, it is often the 'glue' that holds other stubborn feathers together.  In this dressing there might be too much 'reveal' of the white tipped underwing.  It's long taper defines an skyward and asymmetrical point to the mainwing.  Looking forward to your next in the series.

dave

Thanks for your thoughts...they are always spot on. I have decided to redo the wing...and the old wing has already made the trip to the circular file Exclamation

As a further thought Dave...If I understand you correctly the white part of the turkey should be shorter in relation the the length of the wing. I happen to agree with you on that, but as I looked through what I have and what is out there I think we're stuck with having to go with what we possess. I have an adequate supply, but I'm also trying to get as much use out of it as possible. For this series and the fact that I am not using any subs I really should be more picky about the turkey. Now that I am starting the wing over I will do just that.

Somehow I just love these kinds of conversations.

Dave...What do you think? I like it much better, and think it will be just fine when the full/main wing is installed.

Petri Heil,
George
That's real dedication George!!!
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com