Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silver Grey

Hi All:

Watching George put together the "first of his Scott's" has bee a wonderful lesson in tenacity.  It is one thing to be limited by ones experience and abilities, but entirely another to be limited by ones haste and patience.  I intend to try to eliminate the latter (the best I can) moving forward.  Issues with this fly:  body hackle slipped away from ribbing over the flat tinsel, hackle not well tapered, tail too long...  As always, excited to hear comments/advice.

Best, 
Dave
Hmmm...never thought of myself as tenacious - HA HA HA !!!!

Now to your fly...

One thing I noticed was the proportions and material positioning. The tip/tag area looks to be spot on, starting at the point of the barb and finishing over the point of the hook.

Your body work in general looks good...smooth and consistent. Personally I would start the oval rib a little further behind the hook so it seems to just...appear.

Use a bodkin to gently push the hackle back up against the rib. One thing I learned tying these flies is the materials are much tougher than you may realize. To help achieve the desired taper to the hackle one thing that helps is to start as close as humanly possible to the tip of the feather (suggestion from John McLain). Even if the whole feather doesn't taper the way we would like, that start adds to the illusion.

The underwing and that black bar directly over the butt is sweet...it shows good planning. The fuzzy-ish tips the the main wing are okay but if you wish to smooth them out simply use a little saliva on your bodkin and run it gently along those tips...voila!! The shape /curve of those tips is much better...to my eye anyway. Very close to the curve of the tail.

Tail and topping look very good. You obviously have excellent golden pheasant tippets and crests.

None of us ties a perfect fly by any means...but you are doing very, very well and progressing at a fantastic rate. Hang in there!!
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Good tips, I see what you mean about the rib. Typically I tried it in at 5 o’clock, I think the flat tinsel might have repositioned it when I wrapped it forward. I will have to pay more attention to that in the future.
looking down the barrel of the gun I like to tie my tinsels and w.h.y. at 3:00, remembering that the first material that wraps is the last material fastened as in the case of two tinsels and a hackle... in fact, I did it just yesterday.
doing this your first wrap should be half of a revolution away from the butt when it appears on the 'show' side.

hackle doesn't have to start at the butt either.
another way to do it is mark your hackle at 3:00 but on the first revolution of rib. kind of a spey style...
this means you 'dry-wrap' your rib to locate that first rev at 3; mark that point with a pen. double-check with dry tinsel body wrap.
now once the rib is fastened, ready to wrap, you bring your thread forward side by side wraps... fasten your hackle at its tie-in point and then side by side thread to the head to fasten the tinsel body when it arrives.
doing this though takes some canniness as you do not want your tinsel to cut the tie-in point of the hackle. nor do you want the hackle to shift the tinsel body open... it need be an exact placement.

hopefully, and once deciphered, this makes sense...

cheers mate,
shawn

edit: and great work thus far. fantastic efforts.
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.