Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chatterer plate from Fishing Gazette
Anyone have an image of the plate for Chatterer as shown in the Fishing Gazette ? Thx much
I sent Matt these plates from Kelson figuring/guessing they were probably what would have been in the Fishing Gazette in those days. I also edited the original a bit to get a close up of the fly in question.

Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
No cotinga cheeks
I've been told that the jay is shown skinny as it was keeled like the front of a boat.
I'm not sure I want to believe that but apparently old flies show this trait.

I'm interested in knowing the fall out that occurred when kelson was sacked from the fishing gazette... anyone know of any books detailing these facts?

cheers,
shawn
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

I do a lot of answering my own questions here as I'm terribly impatient at times.
I'll share with you what I found to the question above... through the medium of cut and paste...

https://stuarthardybpc.wixsite.com/kelso...d-thoughts

I believe most of you recognise the author(s) involved.

cheers,
schlock holmes

Interesting post you started here Matt. When time permits this weekend I will go through the piece Shawn (aka schlock holmes) has given us the link to.

I checked 2 sources for the pattern's specifics. In Radencich's "Classic Salmon Fly Patterns" he has 3 variations...2 from Traherne and one from our guy Kelson. I also looked in my copy of Kelson's "The Salmon Fly" and the cheeks called for in every case...chatterer. So the plate showing what appears to be jay is obviously the interpretation of the artist who did the original work for Kelson's book...or at least that is what I would gather is the case. We'll never really know of course, but I'll go with the printed word over the picture. Of course it is possible there were 3 chatterer feathers layered on for the cheeks...hmmm.

I'll add I think that jay for the cheeks would look pretty damn good.
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
you know, I was reading about the fall-out between kelson and marston and the inky boy... which was a fly tied with black horse hair... and I was a-wondering...
do you reckon 'inky boy' was considered a derogatory term, though not at the time?

I doubt you'd get away with it today. 
somebody, somewhere would have more time to hyperfocus on this than I do.

les temps... sont en train de changer!

cheers,
shawn