Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The McIntyre

I have enjoyed keeping up with the latest posts.  Questions and comments... When applying married wings over tippets, is there consensus if the tippets should show above the wing or be hidden?  If they are to be hidden, I would think the pattern would call for tippet in strands.  I see them tied both ways.  Also, with wool heads, can the wool be tied in as a collar at the base of the wing or should it always cover the whole head?  I find myself second guessing wing width.  On this fly, I thought my initial wing was too narrow so I added one more strand each of yellow, red and blue in the center.  It was interesting to read (after I completed this fly) that some interpret this pattern as having two sets of horns, red and blue... that wouldn't have occurred to me. 

Best,
Dave
Excellent dressing Dave!!! There are NO rules governing how we must tie our flies! That bit done, my opinion regarding tippet underwings. Visually I prefer the tippets to show only below the wing. UNLESS you are intentionally laying one or more married strips along the tippet shafts. I know it's kinda picky and I may change my mind before finishing this reply. Wool head? Right now I like it covering the whole head like you've done on this fly. I really don't like rules so I tie very few "classics".

One more "picky" thing........I think you might use less dubbing on the body especially at the wing mounting area, You can trim it along the top of the body prior to mounting the wing of course. Or, use just enough dubbing to colour the thread.
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
yeah... something's telling me this isn't your first rodeo, mr. nine seconds.

this is fantastic! look at that!!
I love it.

further into what ronn is saying, and at the risk of telling you how to suck eggs, I'll elaborate my own findings... 

when you build the body, adding silk strands to the underside of your body wraps (à la radencich), you'll increase the body depth at underside of hook.
think about the shape of, say, a pregnant guppy... really getting thick down below but not on top...
we add these pieces to fill the depth cavity left by the 'show' piece of fastened gut.

as we keep wrapping towards the rear of gut tabs and then back to tail (and back again, maybe as much as 5x) eventually we end up with a caved-in head look as we won't take our thread over the gut again... that would only increase the diameter of what we're trying to relate to, yes?

so just leave this look. this is what you want. you want that head caved in a touch.
when it's time to wrap your front body with silk, rib and hackle or what have you, just wrap as normal.
it will look rather grotesque but now you have a flat base to which you can place your wing; the wing will cover the cave-in along with your sides/cheeks and your head then should remain smaller. 
I mean, if we think about it, we could make the perfect elongated yankee football look but once complete, the hackle and ribbing and wing and sides will draw your eye. the only thing visibly discerning to that body should be the ribs sat at their matching degrees. 

the tippets outside top of the wing is a definitely personal preference. I've tied using both ideas, finding one neither easier nor more attractive than the other.

when it comes to the wool I follow the same procedure as I've outlined with herl heads only using one strand of the wool (mine's four strand) and if I need to rough it up afterwards I've this dubbing picking tool that works quite well; it's basically a bodkin that has slashes on its side, not unlike barbs.

I reckon you're scaring the potential recruits with your success,
shawn
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

Outstanding progress, Dave! You've got chops. I also like the advice you've received

dave
Thanks all. I am definitely not new to tying (40+ years). Just trying to apply those skills to a different genre of fly! Interesting technique for the body Shawn, and the pictures are great. I will try it. Also, my reference for tying is Ron Alcott's book. He describes dubbing the wool on the head rather than wrapping it, so that is what I have done. Maybe I"ll use your technique on the next fly that calls for it. Again, I appreciate everyone's input. I am considering trying a fly with an all crest wing. If anyone has any tips I would love to hear them.

Dave