Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
locked thread? below...
maybe he doesn't care what I think.

#shutupmitch   <<<< that's really a thing. saw it during some mma cuddling.

cheers,
shawn
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

IDK why it is locked. Says it was locked by "moderator". I assume unintentional. You can comment on this thread.
Dave
I don't know what happened. I think at the time I posted Catatonic, somehow I might have locked it. I looked "behind the door" but couldn't figure out how to bring it back from the eternal ooze. Maybe George or Jon can fix it. Sorry for the drama.
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
it's a coup dave'etat.

all I was going to say is you don't see this fly as often any more.
and the burnishing tool can be something as simple as the back of a small spoon, or your fingernail.

one thing you have to be mindful of is the surface of the tool. I had a fella make me one out of the kindness of his heart but he'd made it with brass.
for some reason brass does not like silk; I found it grabbed the silk slightly and that's the last thing you want.
I've also seen them made from antlers... I bet you can find one of those without too much difficulty.
thinking about it now, I'm going to look at a dead roo's middle toe if I can stomach it.

as for the fly itself, I don't see that much wrong with it.
I've started to relax with regard to the natural curve of feathers (within reason), this can also reflect itself to the body or whatever; an example being the minuscule parting of tinsel I photographed recently.
another thing I've come to terms with errant crest barbs... pffft... who cares.

the graduation of hackle lengths is commendable. and the wing is attractive in its pattern.

one thing you may want to take note of if you can be arsed... a late and popular opinion is that the head should consist of either herl or thread but not both.
but I'll leave that up to you as it's still accepted the way it's tied. you see it everywhere. it's hardly a crucial issue.

cheers mate,
stop upsetting the cook,
shawn

Appreciate the advice, I won’t sweat the small stuff! I do have some antlers laying around, I’ll give it a go.
Dave
Top shelf work on a challenging pattern, Dave. I agree with much of Shawn's observations and opinions. Your dressing has a lovely body taper, quality hackle/ribbing work, and a beautiful wing assembly. The trademark feature to the Beresfords Fancy is the flosswork. It's laid out naked for all to see. I'm a bit of a floss freak. I use gloves 100%, I burnish if necessary with an agate stone, and I enjoy the lustre vs shine in many silk flosses. I split all floss before application ( even on the long runs ). A smooth and consistent 'shine line' is something I look for (you have 2 lines on your dressing. There's several ways you can achieve it if that's important to you. I'm curious to see what pattern you'll take on next

dave
(05-04-2019, 10:04 PM)Ronn Lucas Sr. Wrote: I don't know what happened. I think at the time I posted Catatonic, somehow I might have locked it. I looked "behind the door" but couldn't figure out how to bring it back from the eternal ooze. Maybe George or Jon can fix it. Sorry for the drama.

I looked into this and while I was able to make a post, I couldn't remove the lock...that is Jon's area of expertise.
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
So many interesting patterns. It's hard to decide what to try next. I have been eye-balling the Pennell version of the Captain, but confused by the wing construction. Lots of parts and not quite sure where to put them all. I saw one photo where a portion of the wing was in strands, and a portion was married above. Others, the pintail, teal and Gallina were tied in as sides, and the rest married. Any thoughts or photos to share would be great.
Dave
Dave - Just Google "captain salmon fly"...you will then be able to find lots of images of the pattern.
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
this is a fine rendition... lifted from www.

good luck,
shawn