Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Substitutes galore
I think this my first post in the Classic Salmon flies forum.  I'm a traditionalist who fawns over a 'legit' 66 Triumph Bonneville and squawks when I hear our national anthem sung with too many embellishments or changes.  In both cases I also like a few of the customized versions as long as they don't stray too far from the original.

Here's two very early dressings, the Lion and a fly attributed to Blacker that were tied with the wrong hook, wrong proportions, and wrong or missing materials.  Despite the omissions I think they both can be recognized as the fly I described.  They were also dressed during a period when my family couldn't afford the 'right stuff', so I tied with what I had.  After a while I started getting gifts of encouragement and materials from tiers I admired. So, in a nutshell....keep pluggin and get your work out for others to appreciate and good things may happen

dave

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sweet flies Dave!!! Pushes all the right buttons.
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
Both great looking flies ! The throat area on the Lion is sweeeet. The red really pops, probably my favorite Lion i've seen posted anywhere
All I can add to Ronn and Matt's comments is...hmmm...let me see...nothing Big Grin 
I guess that means they nailed it.
Two beauties Dave.
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Masterful tying Dave!

Regards,

Marty
yeah, I don't know.
I've had to buy all my gear... but I'm a real jerk as well so...

mate,
that's what they mean when they say clean.
I'd bet you were very proud and received some nice comments/encouragement...

cheers,
shawn
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.