Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Salmon Fly Tying Group
Exclamation 
First a little background......

About 1 year ago ago +or- Eunan approached me with the idea of forming a classic salmon fly tying club or group. Something not to formalized in the beginning but with allowances and hope for growth and perhaps then looking into more of a true club structure. Well this new group of tyers met for the first time on April 28, 2019. It was an interesting mix of total rookies and experienced classic salmon fly tyers. We jumped right in with a Durham Ranger as the pattern of choice...something not overly difficult.

Our next get together on the 19th of this month however, will be a little different and a bit more formalized...in that more insight and instruction will be available to those rookies so they can learn about a number of the structural aspects and tying techniques of these flies we all love to tie. Since we have allowed 4 hours planned together I think we will be able to combine both some instruction and the tying into our sessions over the vise. To try and do a bit of both, we will again do something more on the simpler side...a strip wing pattern...The Balmoral.

I just though many of you might find this interesting and it may inspire others here and there to do the same thing. We make up a small fraction of the world wide fly tying community and I believe things like this are one way to sustain, grow and improve what we all do and share.

I've attached a couple of pictures for a look a one intense group of tyers Wink Wink  

Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Great idea George!!! We have a "club" that meets at my place for folks in Oregon, Washington and some fly in from other places around the country. There are some top shelf tyers, to non salmon fly tyers and everything between. I think it is just a matter of time when the "non" tyers come over to the "dark side". In March Two friends (Jeff Dickey from Texas and Malcolm Tytell from New Jersey) got together here for a couple days and then to the Albany Tyers Expo for another two days. Our next "big" gathering here is slated for October. Then a couple of us get together here one or two times a month for dinner at awesome restaurants and then tying back at my place for tying. Last October a couple of us helped a non Atlantic fly Tyer tie a salmon fly. If any of you are interested in the Oct. gig this year, let me know. Space is limited so first come first served.

For you guys, I think combining tying and a good meal somewhere with the tying is, I think, a good way to keep up the interest. We have called ours Thai N tie cause we often go to a killer Thai restaurant.

Keep us posted on how yours is going!

You can see some of out last Oct. get together on my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ronn.sr Just scroll down the page.
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
though we also meet quite regularly the only two salmon fly tyers* in western australia are very envious.

we cannot pique any outside interest other than passing glances due to investing costs, their time availability and the practical uses of such flies.
I've also found that my colonial brothers are, on the most part, singular... meaning not needing or wanting to belong to a group or club... as is with these modern smash/grab times.

therefore we two dinosaurs will have to live vicariously through your groups. 
so please post often. and with results.

cheers,
shawn et mark

*until m. bishop comes home. if ever.
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

Ronn - Like that "Thai n Tie" name. After checking out several facilities in the area we settled on a room in the clubhouse of the golf club I belong to, conveniently across the street from the house...and no more than 30 minutes on quiet Sunday mornings due to a lack of traffic for the rest of the guys. The room is just the right size, it is next to the bar area, the club begins serving brunch at 10:00 and the cost was the most reasonable of anything else looked at...what more could you want?

Shawn - I know the feeling of isolation when it comes to finding others with an interest in tying classics. I've belonged to another local tying club since its beginning 45+ years ago and it now has over 150 members. When I first inquired if there was any interest in tying classic salmon flies some 6 or 7 years back I got looks like I was from another planet. Then back in January one of the guys asked me to bring samples of my flies. When showing some to him I drew a bit of a crowd. He expressed interest in learning to tie them and I mentioned what Eunan and I were trying to do...and specifically not competing with the Main Line Fly Tyers (MLFT). As they say...the rest is history. Hopefully this will continue on!!

Thank You again guys,
George
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
George,
I think what you guys are doing is great. If it wasn't for the enthusiasm and kindness of my seventh grade social studies teacher, who took time out of the end of his day to teach a couple of kids to make flies, I never would have put thread to hook. Little did he or I know what an important part of my life that would become. I am sure your efforts are similarly expanding horizons and impacting lives in many positive ways! Keep it up!!!
Best,
Dave
Dave,
Thanks for your thoughts and the great story about that teacher.
Cheers,
George
Petri Heil,
George