Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest Effort
When I saw Matt's Green Highlander I had to chuckle. I had one started myself. My regular fly tying club asked me to tie this month and they requested I tie a salmon fly...and they were thinking a classic. I told then in the 30 or 40 minutes of demo tying before the regular meeting begins that ain't happenin'. So I decided to take a classic I'm fond of and do a modern reduced hairwing version...and this GH is it.

The fly sure isn't perfect...and I can't believe I missed the bit of lint stuck in the hackle...DUH!! I'm always playing with different wing shapes and widths just to test myself a bit, and I pretty chuffed with this one.

Thoughts and comments are always welcome of course.............

Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
You surprised me. I thought I would see a another of your Scott’s. I like the proportions, wing width and wing pattern. Nice looking fly!
Dave
This body was laying in a drawer in my tying tool chest probably for the last 6 months...so I decided to finish it up...and like I said...I will use it this month at my regular tying club. That group is 99.9% trout fly tyers and fisherman and while they are usually mesmerized by my salmon flies...it is only a tyer's fascination without the desire to learn to do it. The GH is easy to reduce and tie quickly for my demo...but no worries I'll get back on the Scotts soon.
G
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Excellent job George!!! I sure don't see anything to be critical of on this one.
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
(05-11-2019, 11:02 AM)Ronn Lucas Sr. Wrote: Excellent job George!!! I sure don't see anything to be critical of on this one.

One of the RARE times I didn't tie on one of your hooks. I believe it is a bronzed Reinhold...model??? Look like one to you?
Petri Heil,
George
Not Ron's hook. looks machine made to me. Not old.
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
my thunder has been stolen.
and now twice.

a lick and a sweep of that hackle and that's a full fly. very well done.

cheers,
alas, no rush to finish mine now*,
shawn

*but I will.
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

Nice one George, looking good.
Expertly dressed, George ! A real beauty. Your tying club is lucky that you had a completed body, makes for reasonable demo time

dave