Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Stevenson

Hi All:
Got a couple of 7/0 Noble S hooks.  Largest I had tied to date were 3/0.  The plan was to present 2 variations of same pattern (I liked Georges idea). Turns out big hooks need big feathers, and only had one GP crest large enough.....  Used Ronn's floss technique, worked well, barely touched it (thx).
Best,
Dave
7/0 and bigger are my normal size flies and you're right about the big feathers analogy. Doing floss, ribs & hackle that way is good too.

Excellent job on this fly too!!!
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
I'm impressed Dave. I've stayed away from the big hooks...but with a growing urge to try a Traherne pattern or 2 I may have to add a couple to my inventory.

Well done Dave...you are truly a pleasant surprise and a fine addition to this site!!!
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Thx for the kind words
Great job on a challenging pattern, Dave. A wee less wing length would have suited my eye

dave
Dave - I see DG's point. And I'll add to that...when tying these full feather wing flies it isn't a bad thing if the tail and topping do not meet. I've attached an old photo of a Durham Ranger I tied some time ago to illustrate. I remember my friend Geert telling me he liked what I'd done with the tail/topping on this particular fly...and ever since no worries on my part.

Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Good to know, thx
I was ridiculed for not having top and tail meet.
but that was years ago and it was a different crowd. oh, the fun you've missed...

I can see what the issue is with your tail/top as it can look rather stressed. again, everyone does it (once or twice)...
silk is perfect, head is commendable, hackle tapered and ribs even. still a mighty win.

cheers,
shawn
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

Nice tie Dave! I am starting to see that an open tail/crest application makes sense in some patterns. I prefer tying in larger sizes but as my feather inventory gets lower I’m forced to tie smaller.

Regards,

Marty
a past guilt from '15...

it's funny how one's 'eye' changes throughout the years... nearly makes me fearful of what I'm doing now.

cheers,
shawn
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.