Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#2 in the series...Silver Jock Scott
Well...I said I was going to tie the four flies that make up the Jock Scott series of flies...and I finally finished the second one. I've tied worse and I've tied better and as I've done of late I post the fly without going to heavy on the preening...in the raw if you will. The materials are a mix of subs and the real thing by intent. Although you'd think at my age I'd just go ahead and use up the real stuff whenever I can...but somehow I only do so when the mood moves me. I always use the best of hooks though...in this case a Ronn Lucas, Sr. Jock Scott model size 4/0.

I've also attached a quick hand held shot of part of the wing. Please take note of the Kori Bustard between the red, yellow and blue strips. Those fibers are John McLain's newest subs. The pictures say a lot, but in real life I defy anyone to tell them from natural Kori once they are in place. I left them in on the finished fly...plus the use of his Florican sub followed by his Golden Pheasant tail sub...and I think they look great. As some of this stuff becomes harder and harder to acquire it is subs like these from John that will allow us to still tie these flies as close as possible to the original pattern without breaking the bank.

Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Excellent fly George!!! John's subs look fantastic and I've used some of his first dye jobs, would use them on any flies. Are you going to frame all of them in a frame as a group?
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
(07-11-2019, 01:37 PM)Ronn Lucas Sr. Wrote: Excellent fly George!!! John's subs look fantastic and I've used some of his first dye jobs, would use them on any flies. Are you going to frame all of them in a frame as a group?

Thanks Ronn. Your hooks lift every tie up a couple of notches. As far as framing...I haven't thought that far ahead...but I like the idea We shall see.
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Great fly George. I’ve used John’s GP subs which have good coloring and length. I would love to see your series in a frame. If that is not a possibility a group shot would be good as well

Regards,

Marty
George: I really enjoy watching a focused study in progress. It makes seeing another Jock Scott even more enjoyable. Looking forward to your next. I also appreciate the trust you put in Lucas/McLain products and character. Great tying my friend !!

dave

ps....did you shape the tips of the IC sub?
nice fly. wing(s) sweep is especially attractive. I very much look forward to the next two.

never say never but when we have to use subs I'm going to quit.
you see, I live too close to a country that mass produces fakes ('same same but diff'rent') and it doesn't float my boat. 
fake looks fake. even cdc is obviously not toucan.

strange world we live in. men will go stoopid over fake women bits.
women trip over themselves for fake louis vuitton.
but I don't wear a fake rolex and nor would I drive a fibreglass maserati.

I imagine this comes as no surprise.

cheers,
shawn
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

(07-11-2019, 08:13 PM)2ndmillion Wrote: Great fly George. I’ve used John’s GP subs which have good coloring and length.  I would love to see your series in a frame. If that is not a possibility a group shot would be good as well

Regards,

Marty

Marty - If you like the GP subs...try the bustard subs. Most interesting - George

(07-12-2019, 04:41 AM)dave gotzmer Wrote: George:  I really enjoy watching a focused study in progress.  It makes seeing another Jock Scott even more enjoyable.  Looking forward to your next.  I also appreciate the trust you put in Lucas/McLain products and character.  Great tying my friend !!

dave

ps....did you shape the tips of the IC sub?

Thanks Dave...and yes I did shape the tips of the IC sub (see attached photos) The clothes pin tool from Mike R. I made mine with a much more subtle curve and shape to it that the version he shows in the book. That came about from trial and error to suit my eye. - George

(07-12-2019, 06:35 AM)mitch aka 2 fish Wrote: nice fly. wing(s) sweep is especially attractive. I very much look forward to the next two.

never say never but when we have to use subs I'm going to quit.
you see, I live too close to a country that mass produces fakes ('same same but diff'rent') and it doesn't float my boat. 
fake looks fake. even cdc is obviously not toucan.

strange world we live in. men will go stoopid over fake women bits.
women trip over themselves for fake louis vuitton.
but I don't wear a fake rolex and nor would I drive a fibreglass maserati.

I imagine this comes as no surprise.

cheers,
shawn

Shawn - Believe me I know how you feel about the sub thing...but experimenting a bit here and there is also part of the fun whether it is with the materials, shape of the wing, hackle length, etc, etc. I already plan to minimize or even eliminate the subs in my upcoming ties just for comparative purposes regarding both looks and ease of use. - George
Petri Heil,
George
Looks trademark CSFT from here. Nicely done George, the back must be feeling better ! I hope so anyway. My thoughts on the subs.....i'm diggin having GP that will wing a 7/0 fly and i'd gladly drive a rusty Maserati any day. Cheers
(07-12-2019, 07:58 AM)Honyuk96 Wrote: Looks trademark CSFT from here. Nicely done George, the back must be feeling better ! I hope so anyway. My thoughts on the subs.....i'm diggin having GP that will wing a 7/0 fly and i'd gladly drive a rusty Maserati any day. Cheers

Appreciate it Matt.

The back situation has deteriorated to the point where I'm using a cane at home and a walker when out and about with Linda. I don't use my back to tie flies Tongue and being stuck at home I'm spending more time over the vise than I normally would this time of year...when I'd be fishing and playing a little golf.

I will be meeting with the neurosurgeon to discuss my options...we shall see.
Petri Heil,
George
Ugh ! George, i've been through it all. If you care to chat you know what to do. Sorry the rhizotomy didn't work for you. Me either. I'll be thinking of you buddy