Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brookie streamers
Mr Walker’s comments got me researching Lew Oatman’s streamer patterns. I found a variant tied by Steve Labrocque that I liked and then gave Oatman’s a go. I do prefer Labrocque’s pattern out of the two. Needless to say, my dots got a little out of control. The original Oatman design is the top and the variant is the bottom streamer.

Regards,

Marty

Cool stuff Marty...and very nicely tied. I like both patterns and as a fisherman I see the Oatman original as more useful and effective in lower water conditions...while the Labrocque variation would perhaps be the way to go in early season heavier water.

Most interesting to say the least.......
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
I agree with George. Been a long time since I've tied that type of streamers. Put that on the list of things to do.
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
Marty: Lew's body work and inventive detailing were a big influence in my tying. You bring it all back home with your excellent dressing of the original. Thanks !!

dave
Your tapered body is right on for Oatman flies. I saw one of the originals up close... overall the original was a little darker... your ties are great. When I give it a go I will post my attempts too.
Thanks gentlemen! I don’t tie very many streamers but I do like the look of many that I’ve seen posted. I never heard of Oatman before and definitely will do some more research on his patterns.

Regards,

Marty
Marty,
I would be interested to know your technique for creating those tapered bodies. Really nice.
Don,

I used UNI-stretch for the underbody on this. Ron has an excellent thread topic on building an underbody that details the steps.

Regards,

Marty
Don,

I'll chime in with 2 things.

First - Please note that the Uni-Stretch comes in a couple different sizes/diameters. I find smaller is better for control and shape.

Second - I use a product called woolly nylon I got on ebay. Basically the same stuff but it was $5.99 for 1000 meters and free shipping from Texas. For me it is just the right diameter...finer than the Uni...and a great value. Yes you have to spool it yourself to use on a bobbin, but that is easy enough with a drill, an empty spool and a 2 1/2" long 1/4" diameter bolt and nut. Of course 1000 meters will last approximately 9 lifetimes Tongue Tongue Tongue
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
I agree with George.

Regards,

Marty