Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Banksian strip wing
Not many parts to this dressing.  I like the graduated rib spacing and the gentle body taper.  You can see the 'Z bend' used to horizontally set the tail topping.  The Banksian Cockatoo feather I have has most of it's distinctive markings close to the mainstem,  so sides and cheeks etc make no sense.  Hence the simple unadorned strip wing.

I've seen several outstanding subs for this Australian feather.  Some exhibit the hard to duplicate yellow/orange signature.  My original does not.  I would tie this fly with a wool body in a heartbeat.  May you all tie in air conditioned rooms.

dave

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

those birds are so bloody loud I take great pleasure in seeing their feathers applied.
please feel free to use as many as you like, mate.

and nice fly, very hallowe'enie...

cheers,
shawn
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

I like that fly a lot...nice proportion. What is "z" bend? I am spending a lot of time in the tying room these days...AC!!!!
not to steal anyone's thunder but if you look at the base of the tail he's done this to it:

_______
aaaaaaaa\________

cheers,
shawn
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

Another sweet fly Dave. Those colors scream autumn to me...and I can't wait for that season to arrive...even though I'm tying in an air conditioned room.

Well done illustration Shawn!!
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Thanks gents ! Don, a z-bend is made on the stripped tie in portion of a feather.  I use flat nosed pliers.  Shawn's illustration is accurate.  I've used it many times to tie in underwings for classic designs.  It's especially handy with GP tippets.  Here's a photo of a hackle underwing that uses the same technique I used on the tail of the first fly.  Hope this helps

dave

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Oh cool...thanks. I use that technique but have never heard the term...tough living in a cave!!!  Tongue
Excellent fly Dave! Kind of reminds me of a fiery meteor screaming through the sky.

Regards,

Marty
Superb!
Dave, you tying again????? the second fly. First thing that came to my mind was.....there's nothing like the real! This has a ninja feel to it...……..sneaky, dark colours and all a good fly needs!!! This next remark may sting some of you but we're all friends and I'd tell you if your zipper was down in public. {8o The "Z" bend is a crutch. If you need a level wing setting platform to mount a low wing, you need a level platform to set a low tail. That means nothing above the tail platform to kick the tail up! Just build the platform so the tail will come off level with the hook shank. I do this with every fly I tie. I have silk and ribs right behind the tail will mount. Don't use the ol Z to make room for a low wing either.

That didn't hurt did it?
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com