Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyers Block??
Is it just me or do others of you get what I call tyers' block? Just no urge to tie or find a pattern that piques one's interest?

Admittedly I am a little down in the dumps due to some health issues...NOT  life threatening...just keeping me pretty much housebound and unable to do things I like to do outdoors this time of year. I have lots of free time for tying and as I type this and look at my tying desk 6 feet away I still feel no desire to work on the half finished Blue Jock Scott that has been in the vise for...a month (???)

I'm not looking for sympathy...that's found between shit and syphilis in the dictionary Tongue Tongue Tongue

Anyway...I guess I just needed a place to express my frustration and I appreciate your "listening".
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
yep happens to me quite often George , I have to be in the mood or everything goes pear shaped when I force myself to tie even simple trout flies ,end up tying a right bag of crap , can go for a month or two sometimes then start again. Terry.
I think it's something everyone gets into from time to time. I've gone for a couple years without tying much of anything due to some serious health issues one after another for two or a little longer years. Now health wise things are pretty good. I always have a hook in the vise immediately after finishing one. Gone two plus years tying a fly in a day and a half or so. not simple stuff or fishing flies cause I don't fish anymore. My days are tie some, work on hooks a little and watch tv. Work on the yard too weather permitting and not in the 80's or higher! It's that now.

Bottom line, for me is always have a hook chucked up and try to start a fly.
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
I certainly have that issue too from time to time. I find that I really get into tying after a fishing trip...also like Ronn said, I always have something in the vise even if I just do a little...its a good reminder to see that incomplete fly i the vise. I have been working on a dozen and a half #8 hairwing Night Hawks for a month now but will eventually get them done...halfway there. I am retired now and have more time to tie...but many times I don't....Its all okay.
Thanks guys...It's good to know I'm not the only one, but I suspected that to be the case all along.......
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
it's amazing I get anything tied at all.
when the business is cooking there's no time and when there's time I feel I should be doing other things.

it's a hobby I'm not going to excel at much further and there are times when it is really unimportant to me; hence it being a hobby.
some days I could throw the whole lot in the bin.
if I ever felt self-importance in the past I now find that embarrassing.
the best way to describe my waxing and waning interest is sometimes I find the whole 'scene' exhausting. if you know what I'm talking about you know exactly what I'm talking about.

but it'll change... always does.

cheers,
shawn

bare 5/0 sat in there for at least two months now. what evs.
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

ahhh, Hello...
Being retired, I tie when I feel like it...and when I have the hooks lol

Regards,

Marty
(08-28-2019, 07:33 PM)mitch aka 2 fish Wrote: it's amazing I get anything tied at all.
when the business is cooking there's no time and when there's time I feel I should be doing other things.

it's a hobby I'm not going to excel at much further and there are times when it is really unimportant to me; hence it being a hobby.
some days I could throw the whole lot in the bin.
if I ever felt self-importance in the past I now find that embarrassing.
the best way to describe my waxing and waning interest is sometimes I find the whole 'scene' exhausting. if you know what I'm talking about you know exactly what I'm talking about.

but it'll change... always does.

cheers,
shawn

bare 5/0 sat in there for at least two months now. what evs.

What you say makes great sense of it all Shawn. It is supposed to be fun and a pleasure...not a chore to be worked on day to day.

Like Marty, I am retied so I should and will tie when the urge moves me...and enjoy every moment.

I'll add that I agree on the point that I am as good as I'm going to be doing this at my age...and I can live with that. I checked my ego at the door a long, long time ago.
Petri Heil,
George
Here's a photo of the hook that still remains in place since I tied my last fly several years ago.  I have not given up.  Turning the page but not closing the book.  Current and past work of others still fascinates me and the same goes for my older stuff (as you well know).  So yes, George, I know the feeling.  It's just nice to gab now and then with folks who love tying no matter what stage they're in.

dave

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)