Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Colonel's Butcher

Hi All,
Haven’t posted/tied for some time, but have enjoyed following the forum. Crazy summer… Now that things are settling down, I hope to contribute a few for discussion. The Colonel’s Butcher seemed like a good choice to get back into the swing of things. Not too many parts to apply. This was tied on a Ronn Lucas, Harrison and Bartleet 5/0 xl. A couple of things I would do differently perhaps: longer, wider and lower guinea application (but that was the longest I had), maybe wider tinsel and a slightly wider wing. Tinsel width/size often presents a moment of hesitation on my part. I am still trying to develop an eye for proportion. It is difficult because I find so many different looks appealing for different reasons. When considering proportion for married wings, I find myself referring to DG’s “An Old Fashioned Married Wing” for inspiration, though I haven't been able to reproduce it. As always I appreciate and look forward to everyone’s instructive comments as I strive to learn and improve!  
Best,
Dave  
Excellent fly Dave!!!
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
I'm 48yrs old and I still initially read that in my head as 'col-o-nel' over 'kernal'... and we won't talk about 'ca-rousal'.

I have found wider tinsel leads to eventual regret.
good to see you back. I need to kick my own butt soon as well.

cheers,
shawn
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

I agree with my cohorts on this one with one exception...I'd like to see the tail end of the wing's curvature reversed from what it is so that it more closely follows the shape of that tail, plus another LIGHT coat of head cement to polish off the finished fly.

Don't mean to be picky because this is one fine effort Dave.

Believe it or not I'm back over the vise myself and should finally finish that Blue Jock Scott today...at least that's the plan. Of course the best laid plans of mice and men.....
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Like it a lot.
Great looking fly!!!
George,
I agree about the wing. it's frustrating, I think it looks ok before it is tied in and it never seems to wind up with the same shape.
It's such a nicely tied fly i don't even want to comment on what i'd do differently. Nice tying.
Nice tie Dave! I so need to get more tying done. Camping season is finally over so maybe I can crank out a couple.... nope, salmon season now!

Regards,

Marty
That's one heckuva fly, Dave!! Your bodywork (tinsel, hackle, seal) is a real standout for me, as is the set of the GP underwing and the overall appearance. Since you described the wing shape issue (one I've seen before) I think you might take a close look at how the upper portion of your wing shifts forward as you set the wing. Please consider the role your two left fingers take in holding the wing as you drop the thread. Unequal pressure ( stronger at the bottom vs the top) can cause this problem ). Great tying

dave