Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The colors of autumn.
It was 30 degrees F this AM.  Crystal clear blue sky and the bright sun reveal a few leaves that turned color overnight.  Got me thinking of this fly which I never got to fish but is still a happy spot in my memories.  Always liked it's mix of old and new materials but regretted doing the 'hackle pull down'.

dave

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Very nice, always enjoy seeing your flies. It definitely blends the best of falls colors!
This has your fingerprints all over it and super cool for it!!! re "pulled down" hackle. I pull mine down most of the time and seem to usually not getting pulled down looking. It must be the type of feather/hackle that gets that stiff look. Usually webby feathers seem to get that than "dry fly" hackle do. I think I more I'm using spit (lots of it) and pulling down and letting it dry completely and then combed out. Also, I usually use "heavy" hackle to balance with the wing. Short, sparse hackles we see these days seem to look anemic to me. Just some random thoughts.
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
Really cool fly Dave. I agree w your assesment of the pulled down hackle. Dave Carne w be proud of me. ?
I get all giddy when I hear a north american say autumn.

cheers,
shawn
the difference between art and a hobby is you can plagiarise for a hobby.

Lovley as always to see your work. Agree about hackle. Personally i seldom pull down bodyhackle but i often work a little extra on the throath with spit to get it more in line with rest of the fly. I have only cockhackles with pretty stiff fibers so i find em dificult to pull down.
First...I love the fly. You captured the colors of my favorite time of the year. Walk the woods grouse hunting in the morning and fishing the blue winged olive hatch in the afternoon...doesn't get any better than that...unless maybe you're jump shooting wood ducks and mallards in the morning on a stream running through the local low wooded areas. What we always call a castin' and blastin' day.

As far as the hackle goes...personal preference. I happen to like what you've tied here...unmistakable DG work!!
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
"Jump shooting Ducks" my favorite way of hunting. Years ago, I belonged to a private water foul club that we leased for hunting. The farmer would plant two big rows of corn and a row of millet between them. The shooting was fantastic. Some days if I was hunting alone or with others who liked to jump shoot ducks and occasionally a goose or two. I even called the birds in with my voice. That was before I tied flies. {8^(
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
(09-14-2019, 04:59 PM)Ronn Lucas Sr. Wrote: "Jump shooting Ducks" my favorite way of hunting. Years ago, I belonged to a private water foul club that we leased for hunting. The farmer would plant two big rows of corn and a row of millet between them. The shooting was fantastic. Some days if I was hunting alone or with others who liked to jump shoot ducks and occasionally a goose or two. I even called the birds in with my voice. That was before I tied flies. {8^(

For the most part I began and learned to fly fish on White Clay Creek in southern Chester county here in SE Pennsylvania. My fellow student of the sport and I would use 2 cars...one parked near Landenberg along the creek and the other where we would begin working up stream for the birds from just north of the Delaware border...perhaps a 1 to 1 1/2 miles back to car #1. We'd usually get a couple of ducks and the occasional bonus of a woodcock or 2. Clean'em up, put'em in a cooler then fish for a couple of hours. Not a bad day for a couple of 16 or 17 year olds.

Nowadays of course that area is much more developed and those days are a thing of the past...fond memories though!!!
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Love that fly...I'm picturing it wet...hanging out of the jaw of a big salmon!!!