Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ugly duckling
In quick succession this pattern produced two steelies in a heavily trafficked run.  I saw it all happen and was delivered the best gift a tier can get.   It's got weird proportions but it worked like a charm.  The bluish throat is is your garden variety Ringneck Pheasant.  I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts

dave

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Really good looking fly, hardly an "ugly duckling." Body way is flawless. I appreciate your sense for proportion, something I struggle with. Not surprised it was effective, I would feel very optimistic casting it.
Dave
Excellent pattern DG! It is always enjoyable when a salmon or steelhead accepts your creations and gives you a battle. I really like the body work on this one.

Regards

Marty
It's my opinion that all your flies are just plain fishy. Hope i don't come across offensive but your builds dictate to me that they were designed to fish, not ogle over. That being said, your flies are really pretty as well. They all seem to have that realistic bait fishyness to them. I'm not surprised w your success w this pattern. Sweet !
"Ugly" Duckling) not!! Are the ribs round & wire? Also see a little embossed. Love the ribs. Other stuff too.
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
Thanks gents. Just to be clear, I did the tying but a river buddy did the catching. Just downstream from me. I just got to watch it with a smile on my face

dave

ps Ronn, the ribbing is UTC wire and Lagartun silver round
Dave,

A great looking fly. Would you please share the pattern? I think some steelhead in the Salmon River would like to see this fly.

Doug
(10-06-2019, 02:43 PM)DAnderson Wrote: Dave,

A great looking fly. Would you please share the pattern? I think some steelhead in the Salmon River would like to see this fly.

Doug

Thanks Doug:  I'm a terrible @ record keeping.  I know it's JEC silk in the body, Round silver Largartun and Brassie sized olive wire as ribbings.   Coq hackle was wrapped through the body with the webby portion laid over rusty orange colored seals fur and medium embossed gold tinsel.  I used 2X Scarlett Macaw on both sides, only two stiff olive green grizzly hackles as the main wing,  sandwiched tightly by long Jungle Cock feathers.  If you're talking the Salmon River in NYS then we're talking the same place

dave
Cool name but i dont find it ugly. Your flies have this sexy go fast look. I also use a lot of red heads on my killer flies. I could easely fish this fly in my local river and it will get me some grills.