Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veniard Dye Pattern Card
Here's something I thought might be of historical interest to the members.  It's not Kelson's standard colours, but it is what dyes were available from Veniard.  Given the names associated with the recommendations, I'd guess 1930s/40s.  Wish I had an accurate date for it.

Michael
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau
To him, all good things—trout as well as eternal salvation—come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy. - Norman Maclean

At one time I had that exact card along with another containing color samples of their silks...both in mint condition. I gave both to John McLain and he was pleased to say the least. He may be able to shed some light on the vintage of these items......
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
I've got one of the silk cards tucked away in my packed up salmon books. I'll have to call John when I have the chance, it's been a while since he and I talked.

Michael
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau
To him, all good things—trout as well as eternal salvation—come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy. - Norman Maclean

Most of these colors were created for Halford. The story is in his book "Floating Flies". They were originally made by Crawshaw who were eventually bought out by Vemiard.
Thank you. Interesting! You've given me some reading for my post-meal, Thanksgiving afternoon.

Michael