Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G. E. M. Skues materials list
For our members who have an interest in angling history. A materials list compiled by George Edward MacKenzie Skues -- the man who started the revolution in nymph fishing -- and published in the Fishing Gazette in January, February and March of 1898.  The first five images of the set -- the rest to follow.  Enjoy!

Michael

The next images of the set.

Michael

The next images of the set.

Michael

The last four images of the set.

Michael
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau
To him, all good things—trout as well as eternal salvation—come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy. - Norman Maclean

Most interesting Michael.

An old friend (the late Baird Foster) who corresponded with Skues once gave me the pleasure of seeing a set of flies/patterns he had received from and were tied by Skues. Simple delicate flies that were and to this day still are very effective. He also corresponded with and greatly influenced Jim Leisenring...the legendary Pennsylvania Pocono Mountains fisherman.

I fish the patterns of "Big Jim" regularly and they work for me on the freestone streams of his home waters as well as the on the great limestone/spring creeks in certain areas of the state.

Thanks for this post....
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
These articles were collected together into the book "Silk, Fur and Feather". The book doesn't include the photographs though.
Bill,

Thanks for sharing. I'd not made that connection. Interesting, too, that he'd write some articles in the Fishing Gazette under his real name, and others under his pen name, Val Conson. Others used pen names, and the Fishing Gazette would often give that name as a parenthetical when naming them for something else.

Michael
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau
To him, all good things—trout as well as eternal salvation—come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy. - Norman Maclean