Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electronic Resources (Books on Angling)
Below are the links to some sites that provide on-line / downloadable books (in a variety of formats) or a search service for public libraries and educational institutions.
I verified the URLs on 11/30/2019. Feel free to PM with any others that you use, and I'll add them with accreditation.  Thanks!

Michael
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau
To him, all good things—trout as well as eternal salvation—come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy. - Norman Maclean

Below are some books and periodicals that contain fly patterns and/or illustrations.  They can be found using the electronic resources above.
  • George Cole Bainbridge, The Fly Fisher's Guide, 1840.
  • Edward Fitzgibbon (Ephemera). A Handbook of Angling, 1847, 1848, 1853, 1865.
  • Frederic Tolfrey, Jones's Guide to Norway, 1848.
  • Thomas Tod Stoddart, The Angler's Companion to the Rivers and Lochs of Scotland, 1853.
  • Henry Wade, Halcyon, 1861.
  • John Younger, River Angling for Salmon and Trout, 1864.
  • Major W. Ross King, The Sportsmand and Naturalist in Canada, 1866.
  • John J. Brown, The American Angler's Guide, 1876.
  • Francis Francis, Angling, 1877, 1883.
  • Francis Francis, A Book on Angling, 1867, 1872, 1876.
  • Harry Cholmondeley-Pennell, Fishing, 1885, 1887, 1889, 1901.
  • John Joseph Dunne (Hi-Regan), How and Where to Fish in Ireland, 1886, 1887.
  • Dean Sage, The Ristigouche and its Salmon Fishing, 1888.
  • Francis M. Walbran, Walbran's British Angler, 1889.
  • Major Arthur Thomas Fisher, Rod and River, 1892.
  • Captain John Henry Hale, How to Tie Salmon Flies, 1892, 1919, 1930.
  • Fraser Sandeman, By Hook and Crook, 1894.
  • George Mortimer Kelson, The Salmon Fly, 1896.
  • J. Harrington Keene, Fly-Fishing and Fly-Making for Trout, Bass, Salmon, Etc., 1898.
  • Sir Herbert Maxwell, Salmon and Sea Trout, 1898.
  • Augustus Grimble, The Salmon Rivers of Scotland, 1899, 1900.
  • George Mortimer Kelson, Tips, 1901.
  • Augustus Grimble, The Salmon Rivers of Ireland, 1903.
  • Edmund W. Davis, Salmon-Fishing on the Grand Cascapedia, 1904.
  • Augustus Grimble, The Salmon and Sea Trout Rivers of England and Wales, 1904.
  • John James Hardy, Salmon Fishing, 1907.
  • W. Earl Hodgson, Salmon Fishing, 1920.
  • Augustus Grimble, The Salmon Rivers of England and Wales, 1914.
  • Dr. Thomas Edwin Pryce-Tannatt, How to Dress Salmon Flies, 1914.
  • Bell's Life in London, multiple years.
  • The Fishing Gazette, multiple years.
  • Land and Water, multiple years.
  • Young Gentleman's Journal of Sport, 1867.
  • The Boy's Own Paper, 1882.

Michael

The bibliographic sources and library / sales catalogues that I used to compile my angling book list.  Most are available electronically.  Several contain references to other catalogues,  and there are books which are not available through booksellers or that have not been digitized, so the search is on-going.
  • Sir Henry Ellis, A Catalogue of Books on Angling, 1811.
  • Rev. William Barker Daniel, Supplement to the Rural Sports, 1813.
  • Thomas Boosey, Piscatorial Reminiscences and Gleanings, 1835.
  • William Pickering, Bibliotheca Piscatoria, 1836.
  • James Wilson, The Rod and the Gun, 1840, 1841 and 1844.
  • Henry G. Bohn, Catalogue of Books, Volume I, 1847.
  • Robert Blakey, Historical Sketches of Angling the Angling Literature of All Nations, 1856.
  • Thomas A. Westwood, A New Bibliotheca Piscatoria, 1861.
  • Joseph Sabin, A Bibliographical Catalogue of the Waltonian Library, 1866.
  • Henry J. Morgan, Bibliotheca Canadensis, 1867.
  • J. W. Bouton, A Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Westwood, Esq., 1873.
  • Henry Thorpe, A Catalogue of books on Angling, Hunting, Shooting, Natural History, etc., 1879.
  • John Bartlett, Catalogue of Books on Angling, 1882.
  • J. J. Manley, Literature of Sea and River Fishing, 1883.
  • Thomas Westwood and Thomas Satchell, Bibliotheca Piscatoria, 1883.
  • Pickering and Chatto, A Catalogue of Old and Rare Books, 1894.
  • Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge, Catalogue of the Valuable and Extensive Library of Books on Angling, 1898.
  • New York Public Library, Bulletin of the New York Public Library, Volume III, Number 7, 1899.
  • W. A. Proud, Catalogue of Scarce and Curious Books on Angling, 1899.
  • Pickering and Chatto, Catalogue of Old and Rare Books, 1900.
  • Daniel B. Fearing, Check List of Books on Angling, Fish, Fisheries, Fish-Culture, Etc., 1901.
  • Robert Bright Marston, A List of Books relating to Fish, Fishing, and Fisheries, 1901.
  • George B. Raymond, Catalogue of Books on Angling, Shooting, Field Sports, Natural History ..., 1904.
  • Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge, Catalogue of Books and Manuscripts, 1906.
  • T. Proud & Co., Catalogue of Scarce, etc., Books, Angling & Fisheries, 1907.
  • Henry Thorpe, Catalogue of Scarce and Interesing Books, 1908.
  • Merwin-Clayton Sales Company, The Library of the late John Gerard Heckscher of New York City, 1909.
  • New York Public Library, List of Work in the New York Public Library relating to Fishing and Fish Culture, 1909.
Michael
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau
To him, all good things—trout as well as eternal salvation—come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy. - Norman Maclean

I guess this wasn’t my in for the Farlows book, that’s the one i want badly. Cheers for all the work to do this. A treasure trove of info. If i had the time, i’d check out the formats...i once had Kelsons Salmonfly, but looking through it, gettinq through it was ridiculous. Was all black and white too, if not mistaken.
Thank you. I've quite a bit more -- the results of researching at libraries and on-line for 30+ years. This what what I could quickly pull together from the three green binders I keep on my tying table. There are some bad copies of Kelson and some good copies of Kelson on-line. I have the reprint from the 70s, and at least half-a-dozen electronic copies. There are several on-line with the color plates intact, and some of the scan resolutions are really good. I even found one of the Land and Water supplemental plate sets (the 4th series, of 32 flies) available on-line. I'll have to look up the library and post a link -- it was in a University angling collection, if I remember correctly. If there's something that you want to see, please let me know, and I'll go through my printed and electronic materials to see if I have it.

Michael

An amazing and appreciated amount of work Michael. This is a major asset for the site and deserves the gratitude of all of us here!!!
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Big Grin 
Apologies, the electronic resources aren't links to books, periodicals, and other ephemera that are currently in publication.

Here's the link to the Land and Water Supplement, containing the 32 flies from the Fourth Series. I'm not sure that the cited publication date, 1899, is correct. That date would be more than a decade after the original cards were released. I'll also have to check whether LW was still in publication -- were they, and had they the cards to spare from a decade earlier, it would have made more sense to re-release the entire set.

https://open.library.ubc.ca/collections/...#p0z-5r0f:

Michael

(12-04-2019, 05:55 PM)mfhughesjr Wrote: Below are some books and periodicals that contain fly patterns and/or illustrations.  They can be found using the electronic resources above.
  • George Cole Bainbridge, The Fly Fisher's Guide, 1840.
  • Edward Fitzgibbon (Ephemera). A Handbook of Angling, 1847, 1848, 1853, 1865.
  • Frederic Tolfrey, Jones's Guide to Norway, 1848.
  • Thomas Tod Stoddart, The Angler's Companion to the Rivers and Lochs of Scotland, 1853.
  • Henry Wade, Halcyon, 1861.
  • John Younger, River Angling for Salmon and Trout, 1864.
  • Major W. Ross King, The Sportsmand and Naturalist in Canada, 1866.
  • John J. Brown, The American Angler's Guide, 1876.
  • Francis Francis, Angling, 1877, 1883.
  • Francis Francis, A Book on Angling, 1867, 1872, 1876.
  • Harry Cholmondeley-Pennell, Fishing, 1885, 1887, 1889, 1901.
  • John Joseph Dunne (Hi-Regan), How and Where to Fish in Ireland, 1886, 1887.
  • Dean Sage, The Ristigouche and its Salmon Fishing, 1888.
  • Francis M. Walbran, Walbran's British Angler, 1889.
  • Major Arthur Thomas Fisher, Rod and River, 1892.
  • Captain John Henry Hale, How to Tie Salmon Flies, 1892, 1919, 1930.
  • Fraser Sandeman, By Hook and Crook, 1894.
  • George Mortimer Kelson, The Salmon Fly, 1896.
  • J. Harrington Keene, Fly-Fishing and Fly-Making for Trout, Bass, Salmon, Etc., 1898.
  • Sir Herbert Maxwell, Salmon and Sea Trout, 1898.
  • Augustus Grimble, The Salmon Rivers of Scotland, 1899, 1900.
  • George Mortimer Kelson, Tips, 1901.
  • Augustus Grimble, The Salmon Rivers of Ireland, 1903.
  • Edmund W. Davis, Salmon-Fishing on the Grand Cascapedia, 1904.
  • Augustus Grimble, The Salmon and Sea Trout Rivers of England and Wales, 1904.
  • John James Hardy, Salmon Fishing, 1907.
  • W. Earl Hodgson, Salmon Fishing, 1920.
  • Augustus Grimble, The Salmon Rivers of England and Wales, 1914.
  • Dr. Thomas Edwin Pryce-Tannatt, How to Dress Salmon Flies, 1914.
  • Bell's Life in London, multiple years.
  • The Fishing Gazette, multiple years.
  • Land and Water, multiple years.
  • Young Gentleman's Journal of Sport, 1867.
  • The Boy's Own Paper, 1882.

Michael

The bibliographic sources and library / sales catalogues that I used to compile my angling book list.  Most are available electronically.  Several contain references to other catalogues,  and there are books which are not available through booksellers or that have not been digitized, so the search is on-going.
  • Sir Henry Ellis, A Catalogue of Books on Angling, 1811.
  • Rev. William Barker Daniel, Supplement to the Rural Sports, 1813.
  • Thomas Boosey, Piscatorial Reminiscences and Gleanings, 1835.
  • William Pickering, Bibliotheca Piscatoria, 1836.
  • James Wilson, The Rod and the Gun, 1840, 1841 and 1844.
  • Henry G. Bohn, Catalogue of Books, Volume I, 1847.
  • Robert Blakey, Historical Sketches of Angling the Angling Literature of All Nations, 1856.
  • Thomas A. Westwood, A New Bibliotheca Piscatoria, 1861.
  • Joseph Sabin, A Bibliographical Catalogue of the Waltonian Library, 1866.
  • Henry J. Morgan, Bibliotheca Canadensis, 1867.
  • J. W. Bouton, A Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Westwood, Esq., 1873.
  • Henry Thorpe, A Catalogue of books on Angling, Hunting, Shooting, Natural History, etc., 1879.
  • John Bartlett, Catalogue of Books on Angling, 1882.
  • J. J. Manley, Literature of Sea and River Fishing, 1883.
  • Thomas Westwood and Thomas Satchell, Bibliotheca Piscatoria, 1883.
  • Pickering and Chatto, A Catalogue of Old and Rare Books, 1894.
  • Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge, Catalogue of the Valuable and Extensive Library of Books on Angling, 1898.
  • New York Public Library, Bulletin of the New York Public Library, Volume III, Number 7, 1899.
  • W. A. Proud, Catalogue of Scarce and Curious Books on Angling, 1899.
  • Pickering and Chatto, Catalogue of Old and Rare Books, 1900.
  • Daniel B. Fearing, Check List of Books on Angling, Fish, Fisheries, Fish-Culture, Etc., 1901.
  • Robert Bright Marston, A List of Books relating to Fish, Fishing, and Fisheries, 1901.
  • George B. Raymond, Catalogue of Books on Angling, Shooting, Field Sports, Natural History ..., 1904.
  • Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge, Catalogue of Books and Manuscripts, 1906.
  • T. Proud & Co., Catalogue of Scarce, etc., Books, Angling & Fisheries, 1907.
  • Henry Thorpe, Catalogue of Scarce and Interesing Books, 1908.
  • Merwin-Clayton Sales Company, The Library of the late John Gerard Heckscher of New York City, 1909.
  • New York Public Library, List of Work in the New York Public Library relating to Fishing and Fish Culture, 1909.
Michael

Good evening, Michael! Perfect sheet of books, and I have one quietion, could you tell me any link where is scale of hooks according size of bend to it's length, if it will be possiblle ? Thank you for answer!
Soft fire makes sweet malt
I want to clarify, so that I can point you to what you are looking for. Dr. T. E. Pryce-Tannatt has a rational scale regarding hook shank length and hook gape. There are also several hook scales that have standard lengths, and then extensions and shortening of hooks. One of the best of these is a printed hook scale. I have an image or a PDF of it somewhere. Is this what you are looking for? If not, please describe it for me. In the meantime, I'll find the hook scale.

Michael

(01-27-2020, 08:22 PM)mfhughesjr Wrote: I want to clarify, so that I can point you to what you are looking for.  Dr. T. E. Pryce-Tannatt has a rational scale regarding hook shank length and hook gape.  There are also several hook scales that have standard lengths, and then extensions and shortening of hooks.  One of the best of these is a printed hook scale.  I have an image or a PDF of it somewhere.  Is this what you are looking for?  If not, please describe it for me.  In the meantime, I'll find the hook scale.

Michael

Thank you Michael! I find informashion about hooks from Dr. T. E. Pryce-Tannatt book. Smile
Soft fire makes sweet malt
Glad you found what you wanted.

Michael