Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blind Willie McTell
Ok, this is my last fly of 2019. I call this one Blind Willie McTell after the blues artist. The hook is my 10/0 H&B.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
Ronn,

Another stunner! I love the body work, especially the zig-zag tinsel. Where did you find it, if you remember? I've tinsel from Paul R., Ron A., Phil C., Sol and the tinsel shop that used to be in NYC, and I've not seen any like it.

Michael
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau
To him, all good things—trout as well as eternal salvation—come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy. - Norman Maclean

(12-31-2019, 11:44 PM)mfhughesjr Wrote: Ronn,

Another stunner!  I love the body work, especially the zig-zag tinsel.  Where did you find it, if you remember?  I've tinsel from Paul R., Ron A., Phil C., Sol and the tinsel shop that used to be in NYC, and I've not seen any like it.

Michael
Got it from Paul Rossman. You really have to have a lot of room to use it.
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
Ronn,

Thanks. I've some pretty stuff from him. I got one of the last sets that he had at Somerset some years ago, 2012 or 2013. I've been trying to find some braided tinsel for the General, now that I'm tying again. The smallest that I can find is 3mm, which is larger than / double the size of what is on the original fly. The old UK or French manufacturers made more tinsel than we do today, and in a lot more variety.

Michael
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau
To him, all good things—trout as well as eternal salvation—come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy. - Norman Maclean

I sat and stared in amazement Ronn...and like Michael found the body work on this fly a mind blower. A classic Lucas gem!!!
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
KO,

The throat feathers look to be the same kind that I used as the main wing in my fly. You can see the velvet of the feather and its slight iridescence.

Michael

Michael, here are a few of my tinsels.      Mostly vintage. The black & gold one is woven and is a tiny bit over 2mm when stretched. I'll send you some if you want. I also have some different tinsel like on this fly      And some dark gold and bright gold. And here are two boxes with paired feathers for whole featherwing flies and with hooks.  and a shot of my twisted "gut" ready to use.      and my twisted and ready to use silk gut.      Most is the Japanese silk gut which I prefer. the zip locs standing upright are vintage silk gut leaders that are stored wet so they are ready to use. They've been stored this way for two or more years and they don't rot.      Have to add a little water from time to time. 

That's more than you wanted to know but it's free and worth that.
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
Ronn,

Thank you. That is an amazing collection of tinsel. Having it displayed and grouped by colour -- it's ready whenever you want to be at the vise.

For the offer on the black and gold, I'll PM you my address. Also thanks for letting me know about the stretch. I would not have thought of it stretching, especially if its wound over a silk core. The true Russian braid that I found is larger (3 and 4mm) than on the fly which Paul S. showed me (about 2mm), and I've wondered whether there was smaller braid made in the day. The Brits, French, Germans, Russians, and other Europeans used tinsels and threads so much in fashion, millinery and the military, I'm sure there was more variety and a greater market that is lost to us now. In the mid 90s on a trip to NYC to see some friends, I found Tinsel Trading Company. I picked up spools of silver and gold, some I've put aside, but others I've used. They had spools and spools of great stuff, but I was not thinking artistically, or of the future, and your works, and Paul R.'s, were yet to come. You both tie beautiful flies! (I also found the Evolution Store, and a few of their seashells and butterflies still grace my desk.)

The tinsel work on the fly is spectacular. The pre-tip jungle cock is a different treatment that I've noticed on several of your flies. Paul S. had done several flies "Chatterer style" with feathers, but I think the first body that I saw with shingled jungle cock might have been Bud's. Something I have not tried. The glass bead work. Creative. Textural. What about highlighting transparency, and using a clear bead to enhance the body work underneath? So many possibilities.

Thanks again.

Michael

Love it! Very cool to see your tinsel collection as well, very impressive. I think the zigzag tinsel over the purple body section was a great move. It evokes the feeling of being in a blues bar to me.
Wonderful flies and you sure have much sexy tinsel.