Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vise Opinion
My friend Matt is the only guy I now who uses the Cottarelli T-Rex vise and he loves it. I may have a chance to pick one up at a pretty good price. It is used but in excellent condition condition.

Before making this major commitment I figured I'd look for the proverbial "second opinion".

Please feel free to bluntly offer pros and cons...and thanks in advance!!
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Here is my cotarelli set up. I love it. A friend made me the base

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thank you Bent...much appreciated!! Beautiful setup...that's for sure!!
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
That vise is pretty good at holding big hooks but not so it will rotate inline with the rotation of the vise. Maybe it does with small hooks. I use the rotation constantly as I tie. For building up the underbody, ribs, floss, hackle, dubbing (there isn't another vise that does dubbing like the Norvise). This is a photo of my 12/0 hook and the Norvise small point jaws. I've been working on a slightly better attachment for holding Big hooks better. When tying on big hooks (about 9/0 & up) the small jaws need to hold onto the hooks with a wider section of the jaws. The Cottarelli achieves this with the two vise heads. I could not do what I do with any other vise I'm aware of now. The NorVise has a learning curve but when you've become familliar with the vise and the NorVise automatic bobbin you'll be glad you have it!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
I appreciate what you're saying Ronn, but I think it is fair to say your perspective on this is rather unique due to the hooks you tie on...10/0, 12/0 and even larger. Yours truly spends his time and effort...or 99% of it anyway...on 2/0, 3/0 and 4/0  hooks. Just look at my orders from you in the past  Wink

I have a pair of Renzetti vises...a Master Series and a Presentation 2000 which allows the jaws to be pivoted like the Master...so to be honest there really isn't any need for something new. That being said...for some reason I've never been a big fan of the Master Series. The 2000 is fine for trout flies and such and I would keep it for that purpose. However, without a doubt the best thing I've personally tied on is the HMH-TRV and that may be back in the mix. I'd sell the Master to cover the cost and get another TRV. I've always regretted letting that vise go, therefore that may be the final answer for me. But first I'm going to talk to the folks at HMH and hopefully I'll have them build me what I want/need.

As highly regarded as the Cottarelli is, I've always looked at it like an exotic Italian sports car. Fine looking, sleek, fast, fun to drive but too many parts and too much maintenance. I could be wrong, but that's what my gut tells me.

So.......We shall see.
Petri Heil,
George
Well...once again Thank You all for your input and insight. After using one on loan for the past week, the deed is done. My new Cottarelli is scheduled for delivery before the end of the day tomorrow.
Petri Heil,
George