Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evening Star
I went outside my usual comfort zone doing this one. It was started back in December before my recent hospital visits and surgeries. Finally got around to finishing a most interesting pattern I've always admired Exclamation

As always, the photo is of the fly "in the raw"...as in no final preening before the mounting stage. I gave myself a B- on this one. I am not one who believes the topping and tail must meet on any given fly and I went with what you see here. The wing is a little sloppy, but with a little preening I will be able to improve its overall appearance...I hope Tongue  No complaints on the body work, although the jungle cock could be a little better aligned. The proportions are acceptable to me but I also recognize there is room for improvement. I will continue on with some of these Traherne flies in the future...but only on the rare occasion when the mood moves me. Big Grin I also realized I forgot the red macaw horns after all was said and done...DUH!!

Thanks for looking and feel free to speak up boys.  Wink

Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
(01-25-2020, 10:49 AM)CSFT II Wrote: I went outside my usual comfort zone doing this one. It was started back in December before my recent hospital visits and surgeries. Finally got around to finishing a most interesting pattern I've always admired Exclamation

As always, the photo is of the fly "in the raw"...as in no final preening before the mounting stage. I gave myself a B- on this one. I am not one who believes the topping and tail must meet on any given fly and I went with what you see here. The wing is a little sloppy, but with a little preening I will be able to improve its overall appearance...I hope Tongue  No complaints on the body work, although the jungle cock could be a little better aligned. The proportions are acceptable to me but I also recognize there is room for improvement. I will continue on with some of these Traherne flies in the future...but only on the rare occasion when the mood moves me. Big Grin I also realized I forgot the red macaw horns after all was said and done...DUH!!

Thanks for looking and feel free to speak up boys.  Wink

Beautiful fly, specialy jungle cock!!!
Soft fire makes sweet malt
Much to like. Agree that top and tail meet is not a must on these type of flies. My taste says a little shorter jc. Awesome bodywork.
George,

Sweet rendition. ES is not an easy dressing and you've done it justice. It's a bit of a Kelson contradiction by my readings. Based on the feathers in the illustrations, it wasn't tied as large as we normally dress them today. I also wonder about the JC, as some of the older flies have paler eyes than what we see today. Good job! Glad you are back at the bench.

Michael
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau
To him, all good things—trout as well as eternal salvation—come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy. - Norman Maclean

Excellent go at the Evening Star George, as there is a lot to like. Definitely smaller JC would improve the look a lot. I prefer the version with JC veiling the wings as well, but that’s personal preference.

Regards,

Marty
Excellent fly George!!! Tippet wing flies can be tricky to get balanced on the hook and I agree with the tail/topping meeting isn't important.
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
Thank you all gentlemen. Like I said, flies of this genre are a new experience for me. Definitely some learning to do, and with patience and a little forethought I believe I can improve and expand on my Traherne pattern flies. I'll probably go back the the usual stuff for a bit...but while planning my next adventure.
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein