Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book suggestions
Hi All:

I would like to gradually improve my classic salmon fly "library" with books that provide either history, patterns or images (or all the above). Currently, the only dedicated salmon fly books I own are Alcott's book and Radencich's book of patterns. I was wondering what books everyone would list in their top 5 or 6 as "must have" resources. Thanks for your help!

Best,
Dave
My list includes...
Price-Tannatt-How to dress Salmon flies
Hale-How to dress Salmon flies (easiest to read and understand IMO)
Kelson-The salmon fly
Waltham-Classic salmon flies, the Francis Francis Collection

I started with Alcott’s and graduated to Radencich’s books.

Regards,

Marty
First...Mike R's book "Classic Salmon Fly Patterns" I've seen listed for $600+ on Amazon. Kindle version $56. Hang onto that one!

Additional titles to consider........

The Art of Fly Making - Blacker
Fly Tying For Salmon - Taverner
Spey Flies and How to Dress Them - Veverka

There are many others, but these along with what is already mentioned is all you really need.
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Thanks! Anyone familiar with the "Farlows Salmon Flies" book?
I have a copy and it is interesting.The book is an illustrated catalogue of Farlows' pattern salmon flies from 1870 to 1964. Cool book actually.

Another book for your list - "The Classic Salmon and Sea Trout Fly Compendium" by Grewcock & Carne.
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
The "Classic Salmon and Sea Trout Fly Compendium" was a subscription only limited edition.  All of the 200 copies were subscribed to and sold out.  I doubt if any of these books are on the used book market.

Charlie Vestal

Help stamp out entropy.
You're right Charlie...but there was an overrun of books and they were unnumbered and available for a short time. Dave Carne was the source and he may very well still have copies available. I have a numbered personal subscription copy and at one point one of the others which I passed along to a friend.
Petri Heil,
George
It looks like there's a free PDF of the compendium available online that includes recipes but no pictures and maybe omits some other information.
(05-21-2020, 12:30 PM)Alex Hayes Wrote: It looks like there's a free PDF of the compendium available online that includes recipes but no pictures and maybe omits some other information.

Good evening, Alex! I start to read the classic flies in the book here https://nwflytyer.wordpress.com/classic-books/?wref=tp

Thanks for man who was pablished this contend!!! I had know for myself so much!!! Thanks!!! Smile

If you would like to have the copies a famous book You should be going to auction resorses! Good luke!
Soft fire makes sweet malt
If your interest is mainly about the patterns, no doubt you should obtain Martin O'Keefe's books on Farlow's and Hardy's pattern books for their fly tying departments. If you can track one down, Barry Grewcock's pattern book. Then, Terry Griffith's KELSON COMPENDIUM. It is a compilation of Kelson's books and the Land and Water cards. For books written during the classical period on the subject of tying the flies, get Blacker, Hale, (Kelson), Pryce-Tannatt, and Taverner. After that, there are many delightful books that are worth reading, owning, loving....