Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Claret Parson...Minor Variation
Never tied this one, so I decided to give it a go.

The fly still needs some preening, but I usually just photo and post as it is when done. This photo is a quick hand held shot. I just didn't feel like setting up the light box and all that stuff Rolleyes

The tinsel is not exactly as called for. Since I didn't have gold oval large enough for this hook, I went with a combo of flat and oval. The wing was a should I do this or that kind of thing due to the pattern calling for tippets back to back. So I went with a narrower main wing rather than try to cover all of or most of the tippets. Personally I like the look. I was hoping to use schlappen for the throat, but what I had on hand just wasn't the right color of blue for my eye.

The hook is larger than the norm for me. It is Ronn Lucas, Sr. 2 1/4" Pryce-Tannatt model. It is an approximate equivalent to a 5/0 gape and 6/0 shank. 

Thanks for looking folks...and feel free to comment.

Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Really neat clean tying George, after looking at your flies and others here I have come to the conclusion i definitely need some decent crests but it seems a bit hit and miss landing on some,,your topping really finishes it off, nice one, Terry.
Good work George, I like it. Nice taper to your tag. How did you like working on that bigger hook? I know that hasn't been your preference in the past.

Dave
Thanks guys...your thoughts much appreciated. As far as the larger hook Dave...I enjoyed what was for me a challenge. The materials on hand were more than up to the task, the rest was up to me. This won't be my last venture onto bigger hooks either. Oh yea...Ronn gets credit for getting me to add a bit of taper to my tags. Glad someone noticed Tongue
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Nice and clean fly, like your little twists, never tied this one.
Very clean tie George! Your minor changes to the pattern looks good.

Regards,

Marty
I really like the fly and your handiwork!!! 5/0 is quite small for me to tie.
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
Thanks again guys...you've increased my hat size substantially Cool Cool

This must be like tying midges for trout to you Ronn...but quite a bit of fun and an adventure for me. More will follow no doubt.

Stay safe everyone Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Petri Heil,
George
Nice fly George!

I don't recall seeing one of them tied by you.

Jon
Jon Kopczyk
www.jkflies.com

George: Both above and below your dressing has a light and airy look that suits my style of fishing. A great sparse take on a classic that's tough to get right

dave