Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alas...The Classic Fly Tying Site Is Dead
I've been off the grid for a few weeks, but I'm back Cool Cool

I feel most if not all of you spent time on the old "Classic Fly Tying.Com" web site in the past. It truly saddens me to find that the site is now lost...as in totally dead and gone.

I learned so much from the people there, many of whom are now here. But the personal loss aside, the incredible amount of information amassed over the years is gone...for good apparently!!! Fly tying tips, instructions, individual contacts, historic insight, so many fly photos, etc, etc, etc. The more I think about it the more distressing it becomes...and all because of a non-caring owner and administrator of the site. It was just left to go to the dogs without updates for technology and/or even simple day to day operations. You can't fix stupid!! I'm certain I'm not the only one who feels the loss. As someone who is not now nor will ever be on Facebook, I am now more than ever relying on and hoping this site will be the place to pick up the slack and the members will continue to build up a data base here for the preservation of what makes tying these flies such a remarkable pastime!!

Sad...very sad indeed..................
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
I am totally agree. Its very very sad. Was a great site for learning, sharing and for inspiration for me for many years.
Noticed it wasn't running, like george says absolutely criminal its gone, don't know the ins and outs of the site and owner but all that information, sbs,s all gone, that was the place i first tentatively posted my first fly and the help I got from the people there was amazing, (some of you are here),to me this is the place to be now and has been for a while, Facebook is ok but not the be all and end all,forums to me can archive material members can research up on and look up information ,thanks to the foresight of the admin for setting up fly tying world, Terry.
I moved this post to this location in hopes of getting more exposure and commentary.....
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
(06-21-2020, 12:39 PM)CSFT II Wrote: I moved this post to this location in hopes of getting more exposure and commentary.....
I wasn't an active participant on that site, although I did find it at one point and scrolled through a few of the threads. I think I came across it about the time it was on its way out. I was struck by the number of contentious interactions I came across and therefore never really spent any time there. I am sure there was a lot of great information. Certainly hope this site never suffers the same fate. I recently joined Facebook and a couple of tying sites, but especially enjoy posting here. I am surprised there aren't more active members as it is such a pleasant and helpful group. I am suspect there is a lot of history there I don't know about...
(06-19-2020, 07:56 AM)CSFT II Wrote: I've been off the grid for a few weeks, but I'm back Cool Cool

I feel most if not all of you spent time on the old "Classic Fly Tying.Com" web site in the past. It truly saddens me to find that the site is now lost...as in totally dead and gone.

I learned so much from the people there, many of whom are now here. But the personal loss aside, the incredible amount of information amassed over the years is gone...for good apparently!!! Fly tying tips, instructions, individual contacts, historic insight, so many fly photos, etc, etc, etc. The more I think about it the more distressing it becomes...and all because of a non-caring owner and administrator of the site. It was just left to go to the dogs without updates for technology and/or even simple day to day operations. You can't fix stupid!! I'm certain I'm not the only one who feels the loss. As someone who is not now nor will ever be on Facebook, I am now more than ever relying on and hoping this site will be the place to pick up the slack and the members will continue to build up a data base here for the preservation of what makes tying these flies such a remarkable pastime!!

Sad...very sad indeed..................

Well stated George.  I feel the same way.  For many years it was my home site

dave
(06-21-2020, 04:54 PM)djs4263 Wrote:
(06-21-2020, 12:39 PM)CSFT II Wrote: I moved this post to this location in hopes of getting more exposure and commentary.....
I wasn't an active participant on that site, although I did find it at one point and scrolled through a few of the threads. I think I came across it about the time it was on its way out. I was struck by the number of contentious interactions I came across and therefore never really spent any time there. I am sure there was a lot of great information. Certainly hope this site never suffers the same fate. I recently joined Facebook and a couple of tying sites, but especially enjoy posting here. I am surprised there aren't more active members as it is such a pleasant and helpful group. I am suspect there is a lot of history there I don't know about...

You are right about the "contentious" period Dave. That period probably helped lead to the site's demise. That time eventually (quickly!!) was put to an end when certain folks were ostracized and eventually banned. In the long term that wasn't enough apparently for the owner to be bothered with maintaining the site. Not enough business on his internet fly shop from the members I suppose.

The truly sad part is the incredible amount of information...really great useful stuff that is now gone. If I had the ability and the wherewithal to get it back I would do so and make sure it was available to everyone forever.

Since I am not a Facebook participant this is it for me...and I will do what I can as a moderator and supporter of our administrator to see to it that this site remains a friendly, pleasant place to spend a little time...without the interpersonal problems that beset the CFT site.
Petri Heil,
George
Speaking of the demise of great site, I can't help but remember expecting an almost daily offering from Dave Carne. On our site we have Dave DJS 4263 who is filled with the spirit and tieing up some absolutely terrific work at a PROLIFIC rate. However, I miss examples of scholarship. It's within our ranks but has yet to really surface. Not too much traffic in the Creative and/or Fishing flies either but I have hopes it will change

dave
Good riddance CFT ! If i never hear Dave Carne’s name again, it will be all too soon. Too many egos, too many experts blah blah blah. We all know Kelson was a liar and a thief And times are a changin. I tie a mean Spring Wiggler, chartreuse chenille, even, and it will out fish a Jock Scott every day of the week. This is the place to be now, unless these ruthless mods put me in da penalty box. Cheers
(06-22-2020, 12:29 PM)Honyuk96 Wrote: Good riddance CFT ! If i never hear Dave Carne’s name again, it will be all too soon. Too many egos, too many experts blah blah blah. We all know Kelson was a liar and a thief And times are a changin. I tie a mean Spring Wiggler, chartreuse chenille, even, and it will out fish a Jock Scott every day of the week. This is the place to be now, unless these ruthless mods put me in da penalty box. Cheers

Personal problems with some of the folks that were there aside...I will repeat much of that had really subsided after some of the protagonists were either banned or ostracized. THE big loss in the incredible amount of information.

I never had any issues with Dave Carne. My personal interactions with him were always pleasant and cordial...both on the site and one on one. Yes he was opinionated and could be a bit of an egotist, but you could never fault his work and as I learned when communicating with him his concern was the preservation of the craft and the traditions associated with it. While his mannerisms may not have come across that way...his heart was in the right place and I will stand by that...period.

No worries Matt...you aren't headed for the penalty box. I still believe in free speech no matter what you see and hear on the news.
Petri Heil,
George