Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vise Jaw Issues
Question 
I read an interesting comment the other day about some folks having issues with their vise's jaws either chipping or even breaking...and I'm talking about the top of the line creme de la creme vises!! Something to do with the hardening process for the jaws.

The comment from one of the conversation's participants suggested the problem could be one of several things........

Putting too much pressure on the hook in the vise, the obvious possibility
Not positioning the hook in the vise correctly...okay fine
This is what got my attention - Leaving a hook in the vise for an extended period, even overnight. I'll work on a fly for a week or more and have never had any of these kinds of issues.

Not in the case of a defective product...But has anyone out there been through any of this?
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
I would think the wrong position would be the reason for failure. Everyone (not literally all) places the hook in the tip of the jaws. I did. Back in the dark ages I had a Regal vise and I had a tiny hook fly off and damaged the tip of the jaw. That is likely the weakest part of hard jaws. Regal did replace the jaw. I tie on my Nor Vise and have learned a lot about chucking up hooks, tiny and huge. Small hooks are easy to hold tight. Envision the jaws from the top with any hook but lets talk big here. The jaws have to collapse at their tips ahead of the hook wire to push the hook back. If the jaws tips are wider than the hook wire, it will push the hook forward out of the jaws! Any movement and the hook will move forward more, OUT of the jaws. My advise is to bury the hook into the jaws as far as you can but will still have room to do your tying. On my biggest hooks especially long ones ever buried , the jaws are wider than the wire. I can live with.
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
That is the one thing I learned from you when I got my first order of your hooks...deep in the jaws. I've never forgotten that one, especially after screwing up the finish on a couple hooks Tongue
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
What Ronn said makes sense. I had a problem with a hook finish early on that I posted here. Pushing my hooks back now and haven't had any issued since. I wouldn't think leaving hook in vice over extended period of time would be a problem for the jaws.
I agree on the overnight or longer thing Dave...I've never had any issues with that or my jaws for that matter. I've also tried all manner of material to protect the hook's finish from paper to plastic. I recently tried the black plastic that forms the tray that holds the Duracell batteries I bought and VOILA!!  Easily the best stuff I've ever used. It is 16 thousands thick and just the right texture to hold and protect the hooks.

I know I'm a bit of a loon on the hook protecting material Tongue Tongue but it has paid off in the long run.
Petri Heil,
George
I too learned that from Ronn and it makes sense.

Thanks Ronn,

Jon