Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Site Participation
Star 
I figured I would post this thought here rather than the "Coffee and Fritters" part of the site simply because I'm certain it will get the most views here and hopefully your ideas, input and insight about the subject...Site Participation.

I remember joining the old and now gone Classic Fly Tying web site and looking at the flies that were being posted. I looked at my work and said to myself I will never put any of my flies up for viewing...they just aren't good enough. BUT...as I read the commentary and helpful tips, suggestions and genuine desire to teach and/or mentor what I will call lesser tyers like myself I thought what the hell and bit the bullet...posted a fly...and the rest is history as they say. All comments were constructive, insightful and helped steer me down the right path through the world of classic salmon flies. Perfect example came from Ronn Lucas, Sr. when he looked at the fly, told me there was a lot to like about it, and also suggested I work on this little thing or that little thing to improve one step at a time. I always remember that when I tie to this day.

All this leads me to the question...How many of of the site's 140 "members" out think the way I did those 6, 7 or 8 years ago? I notice the participants here are pretty much the same smallish group of tyers. They (we) post the flies, comment and exchange ideas on said flies, plus we do our best to keep the site active and interesting.

I am hoping to inspire many of you to do what I did and put your work out here for all to see. I can assure you the folks here have a true deep desire to keep the world of Class Atlantic Salmon Flies, Free Form Creative & Artistic Flies, as well as Dry Flies, Wet Flies and Streamers, etc alive and well, all while trying to make anyone and everyone a better tyer.

Please feel free to speak up and put your thoughts and ideas here for what should and could be an open and interesting diccussion.

Thanks for reading my long missive and ramblings Cool Cool

Cheers,
George
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
I agree George. I look back.....way back before I started tying flies I tie now, I posted a Spey fly on some forum out there. A name tyer most would know made a remark about the length of the wing/body and I took it personal and it bruised the ego. Over time I realized that while I didn't agree with the comments, I decided I didn't need to agree to comments and dwell on it. In the end, anything we say on a forum is opinion and nothing more. Still, we can learn from opinions and isn't that the reason we do what we do?

Now, forum participation. I think we have a great opportunity to replace the "other" forum if more folks would interact with us "old timers" and post their flies and share our opinions. Maybe we could post a link on our facebook pages from time to time. I don't mean to post on other forums cause I kinda think that would be "bad form".

More input!
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
Thanks for your thoughts Ronn, we are obviously on the same page on this one.

While I do post elsewhere occasionally, those sites are much too diverse in their subject matter to be a competitor to FTW. I've learned that the participants on those sites are not serious about the flies we see here for the most part and are totally fascinated by what i show them...so no guilt for my part.

To be blunt...the response to my post illustrates just what I'm talking about regarding members getting involved. Come on folks...be part of this community and enjoy the camaraderie and the pleasures of interacting with fellow tyers and fishermen...literally from around the world!!

I am not on Facebook and never will be. A techie computer security expert friend strongly suggested staying away for the benefit of my computer's security. He suggested that FB was just a window into my computer...so I've avoided it and that will not change in the foreseeable future.
Petri Heil,
George
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits - Albert Einstein
Exactly the same happened to me George, after lurking on the other site for about a year and trying to copy  the flies i liked I very nervously posted a fly asking for helpful critique, most of it was good, some really dented my enthusiasm, (don't think they are here)and so began my steep learning curve,still learning and always will be "enjoying the journey "i think were Ronns words, what i would say though is simply saying "nice fly "sometimes isn't helpful to someone starting out, but i must admit i have said that because i think it's a fine line without upsetting a beginner,I would say to the members interested to just tie a fly and post asking for constructive help and enjoy the journey. Terry
The one thing you say is absolutely spot on Terry...ask for constructive help and tips to improve one's work. Also, the beginners should develop a bit of a thick skin, because some less than flattering remarks are NOT meant to be malicious, but something that need be said to get someone going in the right direction.

I've said it probably 1000 times...tying and learning about these flies is a marathon, not a sprint. Enjoy the process and the journey!!
Petri Heil,
George
Its pretty low activity on this site and i hope more members post flies. About feedback. Its difficult. As other i ask Ronn to give me feedback on a fly i was very proud of back in 2006, it was a Green Highlender. I remember he ask me if a was ready for this. I said yes, but my ego was a bit hurt i remember after his comment, but not too much hehe and i learned a lot from it. I allways be greatful to Ronn and Bud and a few chaps more from the other forum. To me its difficult to give any advise if people dont ask for critic, if they dont ask i seldom give any serious feedback because i expirienced people getting angry on me if i do. I have a little break from the river, my right arm is so painful after to much fly fishing. Almost every day since june the 15.
KO, I'm sorry for hurting your feelings. This illustrates exactly the problem of each of us to be sensitive to someone we don't know on line and maybe never meet in person or talk to for that matter. You & I had a similar encounter the "truth" so now I will be extra cautious with my critiques. It's a fine line. For me, I NEVER want to discourage anyone learning to tie flies, particularly the complex issues of tying the classics. Ego's are very fragile!
Happy Trails!

Ronn Lucas, Sr.
ronnlucassr.com
ronn@ronnlucassr.com
I must admit I am baffled that there aren't more participants. Not sure what people find lacking here, it is a great opportunity to share and learn from some experienced tiers with good intentions. I think it is clear to newcomers from past posts that comments are meant to be constructive, and opinions are just opinions. My biggest barrier to being a consistent participant is limited time, not lack of interest. It does seem that the other sites tend to have only a handful of tiers that post and comment consistently. Wish I had better insight George, but I don't...
(08-04-2020, 01:59 PM)Ronn Lucas Sr. Wrote: KO, I'm sorry for hurting your feelings. This illustrates exactly the problem of each of us to be sensitive to someone we don't know on line and maybe never meet in person or talk to for that matter. You & I had a similar encounter the "truth" so now I will be extra cautious with my critiques. It's a fine line. For me, I NEVER want to discourage anyone learning to tie flies, particularly the complex issues of tying the classics. Ego's are very fragile!

Hehe it s ok Ronn. You did all the right things in my opinion. I remember you explained that a real honest deep critic could hurt my ego but i belived my fly was better than it was and that i was a better tyer than i was.  I guess most of the tyers ecperience som hurting feelings in the beginning and some never deal with criticue. As i mention i am very very greatful for your criticue back then. It kind a opened my eyes for all those tiny details i didnt see. I actually copy your way if a newbie ask for criticue. Another thing you ask me if the criticue should be private or on the forum. Belive this is importent too in the beginning. I am also very greatful for all the time you have spendt helping other tyers and also your effort to keep the old forum civilized. Rock on Ronn.
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for starting this thread and for your feedback. I wish I had a magic answer to get more participation, but truth be told, I do not.

Our goal when starting this was simple. Provide a safe, fun, free, and inclusive location for people to chat about what we love.

I had a gut feeling that the old site was living on borrowed time and without database updates, it would eventually crash. I never intended to compete with or shame any other resource.

If anyone has suggestions about how to make the site more appealing, I'm all eyes and ears; I have zero ego, my wife won't allow it, and welcome feedback.

All the best.

Jon